Thread: Holiday Fireplace Mantel Insert

Default Holiday Fireplace Mantel Insert

Here is an insert I made for the mantel I designed and made. It was carved from solid cherry and took 23+ hours

Looking for suggestions on improving texture without hours of sanding. Was carved on BEST setting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Insert.jpg  

2. Default

Looks pretty good to me as is.... Is it removable and are you wanting to re-finish? I have had pretty good luck using a 220 grit sanding mop on carvings.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

It is removable as I plan to make seasonal inserts for my mantle. I could use 220 or better but there is a lot of detail here and looking for ways to make the next ones better, short of going to optimal as it would go 30+ hours
    Thanks
    John

Thats a really cool idea with the seasonal inserts though. What a great idea!

Doug Fletcher

Default Texture

Quote Originally Posted by jwblazek View Post
    Here is an insert I made for the mantel I designed and made. It was carved from solid cherry and took 23+ hours

Looking for suggestions on improving texture without hours of sanding. Was carved on BEST setting
    I'll bet a brand new (or almost new) bit would greatly improve this 23+ hour carve in the cherry. Older bits would do for the other "grunt" projects, but "New" would be my choice for this one.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I think AskBud is on the right track as far as a new bit goes. I just bought a new bit from rjustice and his is a 4 flute design as opposed to the 3 flute design that came with the machine. I have noticed that my carves do come out a little cleaner. Another thing I do is along the lines of twinpeakes and I use a 220 grit sanding mop. After using the mop I use my new dremel multi max thingy on my edges. I am super pleased with the results as it usually as smooth as a newborn baby. BTW I love your work and idea on the seasonal mantle...very creative.

Wow! That is Very cool! 23+ hours, amassing and I love the idea,
    That is a beautiful Mantel
    Thanks for the share
    Cheers ~ Ray

Sanding Mop really helps. I go to Springfield, Mo. once a month, so Grizzly gets visited. Here is what I use, attach to the wood lathe or use in the electric drill. There are I believe 3 grit ranges. I use the 240 grit.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Sand...240-Grit/G3302

That IS a beautiful piece, nice work.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. The bit was new when I started the cut and I see very little, if any, difference from start to finish. I am thinking about the 4 flute bits though.