Thread: cutting the corners off a board

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default cutting the corners off a board

I am sure there is an easy way to do this and I am doing it the hard way (I usually do lol )

I want to have a cutpath that will take off the corners of the board to make it a little fancier than just leaving square corners. In the mpc the board is 36 X 12, the actual board will be 43 X 13 to allow the compression rollers to stay on the board .... I have GOT to build a sled one of these days, this wasted wood is killing me .... so if you could look at the mpc and tell me how that should have been drawn or if it should cut out as I have it. Would it have been necessary to draw the path manually instead of using a circle and rectangle like I did?

Thanks for looking and any advice on getting it to cut the way I want it to.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Corners

Gerald,

There are a number of ways to do this kind of thing. As a matter of fact, I just did it a new way for me!

I added two vortexes close to the corners, where the circles intersected the carve region, then deleted the upper-left corner vertex, added a vertex to the straight line that formed between the two new points I added, changed it to a spline intersection, and built the corner for the region. I then drew a spline with the two end-points off the board and created a cut-out. Three more to go!

I guess I could have answered your questions rather than just charging ahead. My "normal" way of doing such a project is to do the carve region as a spline and attach all of the vertexes, I had never changed a rectangle as I did here.

Use the trick of starting and ending the cutouts off the board, it comes in handy.

Edit: Added better picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coatrack back.JPG   Coatrack back2.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 01-09-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

3. Default found another method

I was playing around and found another way to do it. In the past I had tried switching between the line segment and arc segment tools without being able to for some reason, probably missed the end point since I had no real idea how the program worked and wasn't watching close enough for the sunburst you get when you make the connection between points.

So what I did was draw a circle on one corner to get it the size I wanted then mirrored it to all 4 corners and deselected it which made it just a dotted line, did the same with a rectangle, that gave me an outline to follow, I first picked an intersection on the top left circle using the line segment I drew a line to the top right circle intersection point, switched to arc and drew an arc down to the vertical line switch back to line segment down to the lower right circle and so on.

Once I had the whole thing drawn I adjusted the arcs to all be the same as well as adjusting the length of the vertical and horizontal lines so everything stayed square then finally deleted the circles and original rectangle so only the one with curved corners remained.

Might have to try to make an avi of that if it sounds too complicated as it was really easy once I decided to try it that way. Now if the lettering will just come out the way I want it to, I don't have centerline text (yet) and am going to make my first try at using the v60 bit. The mpc I posted doesn't show any text as it is only part of the project, the text is on the other part.

Thumbs up

Good job Gerald, be sure to post the finished project!
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi