Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some advise on a drum sander

Default Need some advise on a drum sander

I have been looking into getting a drum sander. I have looked at the Sand-flea and the Jet models. I know KenM has one of these Sand-Fleas and was wondering if there is any dust control on the unit.

Anyone have any suggestions as far as models size 110 would be preferred. Is it better to have a single or dual drum. Help Me Please

Default Runs Very Clean

On the Sand Flee the whole table top is an enclosed DD Chamber System that's way more
    efficient than the CW units with a Hose port for your Vacuum system.
    I happen to like it because it doesn't use a pressure roller drive, so I can feed the Project Stock, Plaques,
    or Sign Projects at what ever speed and pressure I need.
    I works well for me and does what I want.

Ps. The power take-off on it is great for running my 4" Sanding Mops

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...ors%20found%3E
    Last edited by Kenm810; 12-26-2009 at 11:22 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Ken,

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty impressed with this little unit and I think it will suit my needs well.

The 18" unit is just the right size for the 14" project boards we use in our carvers,
    plus there's no limit to the height/thickness of the stock or item you can run across the drum
    so it does a great job as a straight edge sander as well as a flat surface sander.
    See if you can find a few more written reviewers about them, before you decide which type of sander to buy.
    Their rather pricey, but are built stone solid and are close to the weight of the CW Machine, (also their quite easy it learn to use).
    "and that's a helpful feature for folks like me"
    Ken

Default Sand Flee

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    I have been looking into getting a drum sander. I have looked at the Sand-flea and the Jet models. I know KenM has one of these Sand-Fleas and was wondering if there is any dust control on the unit.

Anyone have any suggestions as far as models size 110 would be preferred. Is it better to have a single or dual drum. Help Me Please
    I can't give you a real review yet on the Sand Flee, because Santa just dropped one off for me.

Initial impressions are good though, machine seems well made and solid. Motor is fairly quiet with no vibration to speak of. Dust collection is excellent, the base is an open chamber with a 2 1/2" dust port. keep in mind in the pics below I had not yet attached my dust collector....

I may need to still get mine aligned properly, or just learn to better feed the wood across. I ran a couple test pieces across and dimpled one of them. Keep in mind though that I am sure it is my fault, I probably didnt keep the piece moving, and I still had the agressive 80 grit that comes installed on the machine. Seems like quick passes and a fairly light hand will be the trick to this one.

Good sturdy fence, nice and thick.

If you are short on space, keep in mind that this beast takes up a good chunk of shop real estate, as it has to be flat. Measures around 35" L x 24" W x 10" H at it's highest points (with the motor and fence attached). I got the leg stands and made my own shelves and put it on some Woodcraft casters so I could scoot it around if I need to.

Here are a few pics for reference...

Good luck,
    Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sandflee1.jpg   sandflee2.jpg   sandflee3.jpg   sandflee4.jpg  

Last edited by c6craig; 12-27-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    I can't give you a real review yet on the Sand Flee, because Santa just dropped one off for me.

Initial impressions are good though, machine seems well made and solid. Motor is fairly quiet with no vibration to speak of. Dust collection is excellent, the base is an open chamber with a 2 1/2" dust port. keep in mind in the pics below I had not yet attached my dust collector....

I may need to still get mine aligned properly, or just learn to better feed the wood across. I ran a couple test pieces across and dimpled one of them. Keep in mind though that I am sure it is my fault, I probably didnt keep the piece moving, and I still had the agressive 80 grit that comes installed on the machine. Seems like quick passes and a fairly light hand will be the trick to this one.

Good sturdy fence, nice and thick.

If you are short on space, keep in mind that this beast takes up a good chunk of shop real estate, as it has to be flat. Measures around 35" L x 24" W x 10" H at it's highest points (with the motor and fence attached). I got the leg stands and made my own shelves and put it on some Woodcraft casters so I could scoot it around if I need to.

Here are a few pics for reference...

Good luck,
    Craig
    Please keep me informed as to what you think of it, I need to get something like this but not sure what yet, this one sure looks nice and sounds great, but I would like to hear about it in a couple months from now.
    Thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by temler View Post
    Please keep me informed as to what you think of it, I need to get something like this but not sure what yet, this one sure looks nice and sounds great, but I would like to hear about it in a couple months from now.
    Thanks
    Tim
    I'm not sure how long Ken has had his, but he seems pretty happy with it. (see below posts) Either way, I will post more after I use it for a while.

Good luck,
    Craig

Here's a few photos I posted from last February
    showing the units power take-off and a sanding mop
    I've also on occasion, connected one of my flex-shaft
    sanding tools to it with good results "Tons of Power".
    Also for scale and size the one photo has my carver next to the Sand-Flee,
    and neighter are really light weights.

Ps. Greig most of my sanding I do is with 220 Grit or 120 Grit,
    and find it really convenient to be able to switch back and forth between Grits with out wasting any Sand paper.
    And yes you will get a feel for the proper hand pressure and feed rate in very short order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06959%20ab.jpg   DSC06957%20ab.jpg   4%20Inch%20Double%20Sanding%20Mop%20220%20Grit%201B.jpg  
    Ken

What I like about the Flee is it's simplicity. Single Baldor motor and a .250 plated steel top. I also like the fact that it uses velcro paper on the drum as well as the option to do half wraps (coarse/fine). Most other machines are 400# and up so 85# seems welcome. You can even edge joint with it because of the open top design.

To top it off you have a power take off for a sanding mop.

If you keep an eye on craigslist the Jet/Performax 16/32's come up pretty darned often for a song... I got one with about 15 minutes use on it for $350 a while back and it came with outfeed tables and a once-used set of sandpaper (and the changing tool) I really (really) like the ability to use it "planer style" to remove snipe/etc from my boards. It also works really well to remove paint from carvewright carvings. I seem to see the performax's come up about once a month here in tucson for around $400 used... (and once a 22x44 industrial for $550... I was really tempted but 32 is plenty for me)

Good luck and have fun
    Lawrence

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast