Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need some advise on a drum sander

Default Sand Flee

Dan & Ken,

I've spent the last hour or two looking at all of the options. Shopsmith's Sand Flee looks great but I can't see spend $450 for an aluminum box and a drum but that's typical for Shopsmith which is why the only auxiliary tool I have is the bandsaw and belt sander. I do think I gained enough from looking at the pages that it shouldn't be too hard. And I have a friend who has a complete metalworking shop.

Thanks for the info, guys. It's just what I was looking for.

Chief

I bought a drum sander kit like the Sand Flee at Stockroom Supply.
    http://www.stockroomsupply.com/
    I didn’t like it and found a Performax 10X20 drum sander used for $300.
    Another thing I bought from Stockroom Supply was a sanding mop. That I wouldn’t be without, I have 2 of them 120 grit and 240 grit.

Dan,

I like the one that Shopsmith has and it would work for me. However, having said that, I think the price is a rip off. On the other hand, I don't have much space for anything in my shop. All of my tools and cabinets are on wheels and it sometimes becomes a dance just to get the tool I need out where there's a few feet to work.

My older son asked me to make a shelving unit for him to store all the different kinds of paper he keeps in his computer room. I was on one side of the worktable and he was on the other side and neither of us could move more than a foot in any direction. I either have to buy a new house with a 2-3 car garage or put an addition onto my basement.

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by chkorte View Post
    I bought a drum sander kit like the Sand Flee at Stockroom Supply.
    http://www.stockroomsupply.com/
    I didn’t like it and found a Performax 10X20 drum sander used for $300.
    Another thing I bought from Stockroom Supply was a sanding mop. That I wouldn’t be without, I have 2 of them 120 grit and 240 grit.
    I like this one and am thinking of the largest one for my shop. Thanks for the lead!
    Greg
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

Default Tough Decision

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Dan,

I like the one that Shopsmith has and it would work for me. However, having said that, I think the price is a rip off. On the other hand, I don't have much space for anything in my shop. All of my tools and cabinets are on wheels and it sometimes becomes a dance just to get the tool I need out where there's a few feet to work.

My older son asked me to make a shelving unit for him to store all the different kinds of paper he keeps in his computer room. I was on one side of the worktable and he was on the other side and neither of us could move more than a foot in any direction. I either have to buy a new house with a 2-3 car garage or put an addition onto my basement.

Chief
    Chief,

I don't disagree with you on the Shopsmith premium pricing policy, but if you don't have the space, they do make a workshop in an 18sf area possible. Personally, I'd go for the new house and if you want to share parking and a shop, do what I did - go with an attached 1150sf, 5 car! Best money I ever spent and it had nothing to do with ROI :>)

Dan,

I recently had a chance to pick up a beautiful house for $162k. It was perfect as far as physical condition and exactly what I needed. It also had a 2-car garage and a separate 1-car garage. However, my wife has COPD and she thinks she'll need a lung transplant so, until I can get that idea out of her head, I'm doomed to stay where I'm at.

I live in Pittsburgh and the lots in my neighborhood are 30x100 so I don't have the space to build any garages/workshops. If I did, I would add onto the house something like you did. My 2 sons and I could put that up in a week. Setting up the shop???? That might take months.

Chief

Default Follow up on my drum sander purchase

I want to thank everyone that took the time to reply to this post. It was great to see all the differant opinions.

It was a hard choice to make between the power feed sander and the Sand-Flee. I decided on a Performax SuperMax 25"x2 double drum sander. It was lightly used and has a 5 hp 220 motor. It was delivered yesterday and I checked it out and lubed it and ran some boards today and it is totally awesome sander.

I will still keep my eye out for a used Sand-Flee or make one when I have some time.

Man, that is gorgeous... and a DUAL DRUM sander to boot....

Lawrence

Thumbs up Wow

Wow looks like you got a great machine!
    Hope it works as good as it looks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234