Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some advise on a drum sander

I see a Sand Flee in my shop next year.....

Looks GOOD.....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Flee and Jet

Dan,

I'm no expert, but I had a similar decision. I chose a 16/32 sander for two main reasons, the Flee would require two hands and I did not have a planer (nor room for both planer and sander). I have been happy with it, although I do not look forward to changing sandpaper with my physical limitations - doable, but frustrating at times (same problem with either sander).

As KenM pointed out, the Flee can handle the dust it creates, with the more powerful sander that removes more material, you need a DC system. I am in the midst of plumbing my DC to the rest of my shop.

With the 16/32 (or a 22/44) you can create 3/4" stock from 4/4 material fairly easily and it will have uniform thickness.

Just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 12-27-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

I've heard some complaints about the smaller 16/32 cantilever style drum sanders producing a tapered board. I suppose it is an issue of the guy trying to take off too much material at one time. It just means you have to take a few more passes if you are trying to thickness sand.

For all that these are, I have looked at building a thickness drum sander with a top cover/dust collector that could be removed and placed on the bottom side to use the top like the Sand Flee.

I'd probably use some 4" PVC, Make a couple end caps with 1/2" center hole done on the CW. Fill PVC with a couple cans of spray foam to make it a bit more rigid w/o increasing the weight significantly.

Find a cheap table saw on craig's list for the 1-1.5 horse motor. ~$50
    Pick up a set of link belts from harbor freight (cheapest place for them)

Maybe another $150 in wood, screws, velcro hook material, bearings and pulleys and you have a nice dual purpose sander for thickness and finish sanding.

I would probably build it 30" to accommodate 15" 120 and 220 grit on it at the same time. There are some great threads on Sawmillcreek.org on diy drum sanders.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HighTechOkie View Post
    I...For all that these are, I have looked at building a thickness drum sander with a top cover/dust collector that could be removed and placed on the bottom side to use the top like the Sand Flee.....
    Rob
    Rob, you have a good idea. It is obvious that the drum sanders are way, way over priced, like many of the other tools we buy now use to be. Remember when thickness planers were priced like that? A smart company would drop it price down to the $300 level and sell based on volume profit.
    Greg
    Michigan
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

this one is ok for the price.. BTW the Carvewright with a drum sander is a good combo..
    also I like having a belt feed as you do not need to push the wood..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-1...m-Sander/G0458
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 12-27-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Default 2 cents on drum sanders.

I've had a 16/32 [check that 18/36]for several years and I think I would give up my table saw ahead of the drum sander. My planer now sits idle except for heavy duty thicknessing. I've not seen a problem with tapering using reasonable (and adequate) pressures.

PROS.
    1. It does a wonderful job of both rough and defect free surfacing and finish (220) sanding.
    2. Feed conveyor speed is infinitely selectable.
    3. When connected to a dust collector, saw dust emissions are minimal.
    4. Uniform thicknessing and parallel surfacing is automatic, I wonder how these could be controlled with a sand flea.
    CONS:
    1. Changing paper is a bit of a hastle at first, but you catch on quickly,
    2. once in a while paper wants to come loose after a lot of use on the paper.
    3. a bit noisy and takes some space.
    4. Watch out for gum/pitch accumulation on paper,-- will quickly burn the stock and ruin the paper.
    Last edited by kenerv1; 12-27-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Correct an error.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    this one is ok for the price.. BTW the Carvewright with a drum sander is a good combo..
    also I like having a belt feed as you do not need to push the wood..
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-1...m-Sander/G0458
    $1000 is not a bad price? I completely disagree with that, but will be glad to sell you my Dewault planer for that price if you like....

IMO: We, wood workers, need to stand up to the manufacturers and push them to lower the prices for drum sanders or we will forever be paying very high prices, like planers use to be.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

luckettg, I think i paid 750.00 a few years ago..

I looking for a smaller size sander right now for guitars and would love to build it myself but i have no working plans..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Stroke-Sander/G5394

Quote Originally Posted by luckettg View Post
    $1000 is not a bad price? I completely disagree with that, but will be glad to sell you my Dewault planer for that price if you like....

IMO: We, wood workers, need to stand up to the manufacturers and push them to lower the prices for drum sanders or we will forever be paying very high prices, like planers use to be.

I have not started looking yet, but have found plans for all sorts of things doing Google searches. I wonder if there might be one in some of the old books on my shelf? These drum sanders are not very complicated machines and should be easy enough to design one from scratch using junkyard and/or off the shelf parts. For that matter, an old joiner would work similar to a Sand Flee, with a bit of modification.

I am still thinking about your idea of combining one with the CW and have not reached any conclusions yet. I can see advantages to it, but I do a lot of other projects that require sanding that a stand alone drum sander would be better.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

Thumbs up Building a Drum Sander

If you really are interested in building your own Drum Sander
    here's a couple of videos with helpful info to help you along.
    plus I sure there's several other "how to" ideas online.

http://www.theonlinewoodshow.com/sho...=1&prod=DVD001
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drum Sanders 1a.jpg  
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast