Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pattern not carving right

1. Default

Okay got the z motor out and there was very little dust on the outside of the plastic cover, the inside looked clean so I put it all back together. While I had the lid off I played with the z truck and it seemed stiff at the very top and bottom of its travel so I grabbed a rag with mineral spirits on it and scrubbed the heck out of the rails then put some 3-in-1 oil on the rag and wiped the rails, after an hour of scrubbing and wiping the motion seemed better and I actually got a piece carved that isn't on the scrap pile .... now if it will just stay that way. I didn't see any pitch or anything else on the rag but the rails near the bottom and top are darker than the rest of the rail so figure there must have been something on there..... at least I hope so at this point

Default i would think

that the 3in1 oil would attract dust like a mobile home to a tornado.

Question should I change my Z pack

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Bennett View Post
    Based on those pictures in Al's post I have the new Z, the easiest to tell on is the one showing the rear of the motor pack as the black cover is different between the two versions.

The dogs decided I needed to be up early so out to the garage to take off the z pack, at least the replacement directions don't show any thread lock used in the process so this should be easy enough to do.
    should I be changing my Z pack, i have the old style, it is not broken right now so should i change it now or wait till it breaks. should i order the kit and have it on the shelf and what is in the Z pack kit.

Just reading this post and wondered if I need to worry.

Thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by temler View Post
    should I be changing my Z pack, i have the old style, it is not broken right now so should i change it now or wait till it breaks. should i order the kit and have it on the shelf and what is in the Z pack kit.

Just reading this post and wondered if I need to worry.

Thanks
    Tim
    My personal experience...

I have two machines, both purchased about three years ago. One machine still has the original "old" Z-pak, original sanding belts, original brass roller board sensor, etc. I did replace the QC once after a badly mounted bit ruined it, and I replaced the LED board sensor even though it still worked (I had removed the plastic window 'cause dust would occasionally get in behind it, so I put in a new one with the plastic window intact - I still have the original old sensor for a spare).

The other machine has the new Z-pak, the Kevlar belts, and the current brass roller board sensor. I also replaced the QC once on this machine when a small piece broke off inside after about two years of use.

I alternate using both machines, but will typically use the "oldest" stock machine (with the old Z) when testing the projects I design. I have had no trouble whatsoever with the old Z. (EDIT: I just remembered that I put a strip of masking tape on the back cover of the old Z - I noticed it had worked loose a couple years or so ago, so I taped it back on! Been fine ever since.). If it ain't broke - don't fix it. You could have the new one "waiting in the wings" if you need the peace of mind, I guess.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-22-2009 at 09:39 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default i also have the old z

and it is just a purrin along.

6. Default

If it is working the only reason to change it would be for the scanning probe. If the circuit board behind the spindle is broken ( and it probably is) then the probe will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    If it is working the only reason to change it would be for the scanning probe. If the circuit board behind the spindle is broken ( and it probably is) then the probe will not work.
    Hopefully, it's not broken...my scanning probe works fine on both the one with the new Z and the one with the old Z (not really sure how the circuit board would get broken?).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123