Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing picture of a Marquette , MI Ice Breaker at work...

Default random thoughts

Does wisdom really come with age?
    Is that guy looking for something?
    Jees, I hope that's not Jack LaLane--too much juicing!

Jerry,

I'm stroking Mike a bit. The fellow in the lake may have been drunk as exhibited by his actions. I bet there are a ton of folks in Michigan and other states who had experienced a tougher row to how as part of their daily struggles. I've fought fires in 20 below and it's damn cold but then there are the guys who work in the trenches, utility workers, who have it tougher and are out there 8 hours a day or night, day in and day out.

Chief

Default 20 below fire calls

always seem to happen when you have a gale wind. You almost hate to put the fire out cause it's the only heat you have.

Herb

Default Turnout Gear Weight Increase

As firefighter in my younger years in Carrollton, MI I remember the many extra pounds of weight added to the turnout gear from the accumulation of frozen spray. Hard to move and your head gets real heavy from the ice on the helmet.
    Ken Rugaber
    South Milwaukee, WI (winter)
    Munising, MI (summer)
    Using designer 1.164
    My Website
    http://www.ruggybear.com/

Need to catalog your MPC and PTN files? I recommend FilePick
    http://www.rsbriggs.com/fp/index.html

Ken,

The worst fire, for weather conditions, that I can remember over my 37 years in a large city was a house fire that threatened to extend to the back of the bar. This was in the late 70s. The deputy chief assigned me and my crew to keep it from extending....... which meant that we were on the outside while all the lucky guys were inside the fire building, keeping warm and debating whether to extinguish the fire. It was 20 below with a stiff wind and the nozzle became unbelievably cold. Even the diesel exhaust from the pumper couldn't warm my hands. In those days we use to use pallbearer gloves inside Fireball gloves which normally is toasty but not that morning. That's one day I'll never forget.

Chief

6. Default

Great Pic! 23 Degrees here in Ohio! Yep its definateyl winter time.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

We just picked our lemons 4 days ago here in Tucson... it's in the 60's here.... brrrrrrrrr too much for me- I'll have to keep moving south (though 56 more miles south and I'd be in Old Mexico so I'd better think twice)

Lawrence

I'm down working in Mexico right now, and I mean real inner Mexico....84 degrees here. Home being the Chicago area, it sounds like they just got hit with a major snow storm. Can't say I miss it. I'll think I'll stay put for another week at least!

Default weather

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleCove View Post
    I'm down working in Mexico right now, and I mean real inner Mexico....84 degrees here. Home being the Chicago area, it sounds like they just got hit with a major snow storm. Can't say I miss it. I'll think I'll stay put for another week at least!
    better milk that job till june
    n.e ohio denny

i burn wood and my sliding glass door is my thermostat [open when hot etc]

Cool Wind Chill My ---

We had 55 mph winds all day Thursday with temps between 8 and 12 Degrees.
    After about 40 minute outside securing everything from blowing away
    -- it felt like 100 Degrees below Zero. My Fingers are still aching.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast