Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Needed

Default Opinions Needed

I posted in an earlier thread that I was working on the attached litho for a Retirement Certificate. Can anyone let me know if this looks feasible? I am concerned about the small size of the letters, but I want it to look as close to the original as possible. Another concern is the signature. Will these things show up with good clarity in a litho?

Edit: Okay, I guess I screwed that up. The .mpc is over the limit. What else can I use to post this for review?

Edit:Okay, I just removed the top emblem (Seal of the United States) to make it fit within the size requirements.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JDPratt; 12-03-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Default Plaque

I suggest that you use a 60 degree bit rather than the 90.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Across the creek from " Baghdad on the Border " in El Paso, Texas

Default Grettings

Check your spelling, it's very difficult to erase

Mike
    We owe a lot to Thomas Edison - if it wasn't for him. we'd be watching television by candlelight.

Default Spell check

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Witt View Post
    Check your spelling, it's very difficult to erase

Mike
    A good way to do Spell check, is to type your wording into a WORD document, and CHECK. From there, you COPY just the word section you want, and PASTE it into the Designer TEXT. You then apply the Font and such that you wish. This just help us avoid spelling errors.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Okay, maybe I am missing it. What is spelled wrong? Unless you are referring to the word "Greeting" vs. Greetings. On the actual certificate it says "Greeting". I know it sounds wrong and on my retirement certificate it does say "Greetings", but I want to replicate what his actual certificate says. I guess I could ask him if he wants to change it.

Other than that, does it look like the words are large enough to carve and be seen on a litho with a 60 degree bit? Any other modifications you think I should make?

John

Across the creek from " Baghdad on the Border " in El Paso, Texas

Default Spell Check

On the picture you attached you have it spelled " GRETTING"
    If thats what you want......Go For It!

Far be it from me too suggest anything, Have a good one
    We owe a lot to Thomas Edison - if it wasn't for him. we'd be watching television by candlelight.

Default Egg on Face

Wait one minute while I clean it off my face....

Nice catch, I read it five times and didn't see it. Guess my eyes are starting to go. Thanks for the catch. Sometimes I get in a hurry with all the other projects and the mind starts to shut down.

JD

Your board settings are for a .75" thickness - I'm assuming that if you're doing a litho, it will be on either .50" or .25" thick corian, right?

Now, your letters are only about .03" deep - that's pretty shallow. A 60 degree bit will make them some deeper, but not much.

IMHO, no light will come through on a .75" or a .50" thick piece at that depth. Maybe it will on a .25" piece.

The text on the attached was done on .50", and the depth of the letters are between .06" to almost .10" deep. Very fine light comes through the lettering.

So, with .25" thick Corian, and .03" deep text, you'll be close, but I don't think lighted enough.

I could be wrong...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noname.jpg   Lit.jpg   Unlit.jpg   Bella Lit.jpg  

Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Another good catch. The Corian will be .25. I hadn't adjusted the board dimension yet. With it at .25 will the 60 degree bit be deep enough?

Sorry for sounding like a dumb#%@, but I want to get this right the first time and I really don't have the time to redo it over and over with all the other projects going on. I really appreciate all the input from you experts.

JD

I think you're gonna have problems - some of the depths are as little as .01", the letters are small (across the top horizontal line of the "f", the depth is basically 0").

Worst case, if you have a drum sander, you can take off thickness after carving until you get the look you want, but I'm not sure you can get enough.

Zoom in as close as you can in Designer, and look at the quality of the text, even after assigning a 60 degree bit to it - it's not gonna be a clean as you want it to be.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast