Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in buying wide, solid wood, boards?

Default Any interest in buying wide, solid wood, boards?

Say, I've got someone that loves to glue up boards. I mean this guy eats, sleeps, and dreams about glue-ups.

I'm wondering....

If I approached him, and had him create a bunch of 14" wide glue-ups, in White Oak, Red Oak, Maple, and maybe Ash, if there'd be much interest from this group in a purchasing some?

All would be 3/4" thick, at least one straight edge, planed smooth on both sides, and 24" long...or better.

I just have no idea if people mind carving boards that are 2 or 3 boards, glued up, for increased width.

Thoughts?

2. Default

How much per foot and where are you located?
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

I may be interested too - probably not 14" widths...more like 10" to 12"...and would prefer both edges run through a jointer so the edges are smooth and parallel with each other.

Post some more details if/when they are available. Thanks!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I'd be intersted as well... but I fear shipping may put cost out of reach for me.

(Maybe we just need to convince USPS to create a flate rate box with demensions like 15x24x8... "if it fits... it ships")

Doug Fletcher

I would be interested in the details too..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default Pricing

I'll approach him, but I'd like to give him a figure....
    What do you guys think would be a fair offer that I could toss at him, per board foot?

You know, I'd like to go to him, and ask if he'd be willing to provide us with wide boards, at $x.xx per board foot....and then see what he says.

He'll be looking for "whatever the market will bear"...but what do you guys think would be a fair price per board foot?

They'd ship from either central Wisconsin (54436), or around Chicago (60002), if I was to bring a boat-load back with me, for everyone, when I visit.

Default Me too

I would also be interested in finished glued up boards ready to carve in the 12" variety if the price was reasonable.

Unfortunately I'm not the guy to put fair prices on board feet for these, and good hardwood is heavy so I fear shipping may price it out of range..

Definitely interested in details though...

Craig

Default lumber

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    I'd be intersted as well... but I fear shipping may put cost out of reach for me.

(Maybe we just need to convince USPS to create a flate rate box with demensions like 15x24x8... "if it fits... it ships")

Doug Fletcher
    Doug,

Aren't there some sawmills around your neck of the woods? A brother-in-law owns several "houses" over in Clarion and he told me there are quite a few sawmills. Of course you guys in Indiana are a little more refined than the rednecks in Clarion.

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Doug,

Aren't there some sawmills around your neck of the woods? A brother-in-law owns several "houses" over in Clarion and he told me there are quite a few sawmills. Of course you guys in Indiana are a little more refined than the rednecks in Clarion.

Chief
    I've been told there are... but I havn't tracked em down yet! Lots of amish aroudn here... but no phones so not sure how to contact em!

Doug Fletcher

Shipping isn't the only cost to contend with. If this man is running the boards through a planer and then jointing one or both sides, that adds to the cost considerably. Unless this guy has a hundred clamps, it would take him some time to clamp up all the potential board order.

I have a Rockler about 10 miles from my house. My only objection to what they carry, as far as red oak, is that it's planed down to 3/4". I'd rather plane it myself so I don't have to worry about dings and dents while picking through the store's stock.

Chief

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast