Thread: Sanding help

Default Sanding help

I could use tips about sanding. I typically paint a lot of lettering. I cut, then put heavy coat of gloss....spray paint then sand...pain in the .....

Any suggestions to make this easier. Also what is the best way to get the smoothest finish on complex carve. I have a sanding mop on order.

So, sand before carve, treat wood before carve, or do after????
    Also I am cutting everything pretty much in normal mode to cut back on machine time. Have not noticed too much difference in that and optimal except time

Thanks

I don't get that. I see a huge difference between normal and best(let alone normal and optimal). And not as much difference between optimal and best.

I guess it depends on what you are carving and how sharp your bits are, but I would say optimal should be producing much better results than normal and cut down on roughness considerably, it does for me. I carve nothing on normal just to much work sanding and cleaning up.

Quote Originally Posted by trplbogie View Post
    I could use tips about sanding. I typically paint a lot of lettering. I cut, then put heavy coat of gloss....spray paint then sand...pain in the .....

Any suggestions to make this easier. Also what is the best way to get the smoothest finish on complex carve. I have a sanding mop on order.

So, sand before carve, treat wood before carve, or do after????
    Also I am cutting everything pretty much in normal mode to cut back on machine time. Have not noticed too much difference in that and optimal except time

Thanks
    I know I have seen some posts about people staining the board first.. then covering it with "self adhesive shelf paper". You can then do you carve and paint the area. Remove the shelf paper and you done. I havn't found a version of the shelf paper i really like though... the ones I have tried (discount stores) had too much tack to them and left behind residue when removed. If anyone has brands that they successfully have used this way, please let us know!

Doug Fletcher
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 11-13-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Makes me wonder if blue painters tape would work.

Quote Originally Posted by trplbogie View Post
    Makes me wonder if blue painters tape would work.
    I bet it would work ok... i just wasnt crazy about the cost & work involved with 2" wide painters tape. In another thread someone spoke of vinyl transfer tape (using in vinyl sign making). I'm thinking that may works as well, but I havn't tried it myself yet. I am also almost sure I have seen something called "liquid mask"... i think you just paint it on... let it cure.. and then after your carve and finish paint it just peels off. I'll have to google it again.. my memory is a bit foggy on the liquid mask stuff.

Doug Fletcher
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 11-13-2009 at 02:44 PM.

IN the past, I've painted hand engravings with black spray paint and then run the wood through a 13" planer. This leaves a surface ready for staining and the lines between paint and wood are very crisp and clear. This of course wouldn't work on many 3D carvings that the machine produces, but would work great with a Centerline cut.

I always apply my stain with a rag for better control of absorption and I use a small artist brush to get the stain into areas too tight for a finger poking in the rag. Just dab off the brush on the rag before putting it to the wood.

I like the trick of putting down a tacky paper. What about a plastic protective sheet like the one we all pulled off of the plastic lid of our machines? I bet that has just the right amount of tack to it. Maybe a place like Uline.com would carry it.
    John

Default Frisket film

Here is a link to something called frisket film It is a low-tack mask. Might work for what is wanted here.

http://www.amazon.com/Foto-Frisket-F...149693&sr=8-16
    Richard

If things improve with age, then I am
    approaching MAGNIFICENT!!

Using v.1.170

I should have asked my wife.....she just handed me Glad Press'n Seal plastic wrap. Lightly tacky on one side and not expensive at all. Will try that, and after I screw up my machine I will take it to LHR to have it fixed.