Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection - the final answer

Default Huh??

Quote Originally Posted by castingman View Post
    An idea

When i set up my ham radio station i ran a wire from the ground bus in the service panel to a copper bar mounted on a wood stand with 15 1/4" holes drilled in it . All of my ham gear is connected to the bar and no GROUND LOOP.

Just an idea.

Michael

Mike,

I must be missing something here. You have a wife from ground in your service panel to a copper bar mounted on a wood stand. I don't have any idea what the holes are for but am I correct that this wire going from the service panel to the copper bar isn't grounded in any way OTHER than at the service panel. In other words, you are just extending the ground from the service panel to a copper bar where you attach the grounds from your ham gear.

Chief

Chief,

That is correct, Am ham gear has a ground lug on them for that reason.Ground loops are bad for ham radios, And lighting bolts are bad as well.
    The holes in the bar are for connecting the ground wires. The bar is connected to the main ground in the house buy the shortest route possiable.

Michael

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it .
    Michael
    WA8MCI

Thanks Frederick P for the Dust collector plans. Dust is the bane of this machine.
    I have been playing with my new, used machine machine for a few days now and the collector is working great. Wish I could say the same for my carvings. I have a lot to learn.
    Regards Chay

Default which one i like best

If it really matters I am going to let you know which dust collector I like best, while waiting for my gears to get here i decided to make a DC but didn't know which plans to use so I made three different ones just for the heck of it and i know i am going to buy another machine someday soon, I hope. I built Bud's plans, also the PDF plans on this thread, Also my version of the metal one. I made the metal one first and stupid me forgot that when the machine is set up on the bench the right way there is no room out the right side for the hose to hook up under the DC so that one went to the back room for retirement until i get a better place to set up my cc, Then i went with the PDF on this page I sure looks nice but it doesn't sit in there you have to find a way to tie it down to the machine or it just tips right out, Looks good and works good but I didn't want to figure out how to fasten it down and still be able to take it out when i wanted to, there was too much on the out side of the machine, Then i decided to make Bud's I really like it because most of it is inside of the machine, it looks good, has a way to fasten it down, works good, It is good all the way around so I think that is my favorite one, i think till i build another one. That is what boredom does to you. I am still going to run a bare wire inside my hose from my DC machine and then fasten it to my out feed try and fasten it to my DC machine which is ground, I think that should work, Does it have to be bare or can i just strip the wire in several place along the 10' hose, just wondering?

Thanks
    Tim

Default Vacuum

Tim,
    Thanks for the good review on the CW Vacuum Head Project.

Good luck finding the source of the "spare" washers.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

6. Default

Tim,
    I guess I wasn't too clear in my drawings about how to fasten the collector to the machine. You will notice that there are two threaded holes on the shelf of your machine. Two angle brackets are fastened to the side of the collector to allow you to hold the unit down with a couple of small machine screws. If you are resourceful, and it would appear that you are, you could use a shaft with a screw on one end and a knob on the other so you can quickly remove the collector when needed.

No matter which version you find works best for you, the important thing is that you have now extended the life of your machine and should enjoy much better usage without having to constantly clean the unit. Everyone needs to add a good dust collection system to their setup.
    Frederick Potter
    Editions by Frederick
    http://www.editionsbyfrederick.com

Keep 98% of the dust out of your machine with this free dust collector:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e-final-answer

Tim,

Great job on setting up you dust collection system for the machine. I would expect that you will see a lot better performance and less time cleaning.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick_P View Post
    Tim,
    I guess I wasn't too clear in my drawings about how to fasten the collector to the machine. You will notice that there are two threaded holes on the shelf of your machine. Two angle brackets are fastened to the side of the collector to allow you to hold the unit down with a couple of small machine screws. If you are resourceful, and it would appear that you are, you could use a shaft with a screw on one end and a knob on the other so you can quickly remove the collector when needed.

No matter which version you find works best for you, the important thing is that you have now extended the life of your machine and should enjoy much better usage without having to constantly clean the unit. Everyone needs to add a good dust collection system to their setup.
    HI Frederick

I found the fasten down spot works great so now I think they both are great and both look great and both fasten down great. Now i have a second DC ready for when i get a new machine, but this machine is going to be used with Bud's since i already cut the door. I will stain and varnish the one from your plans now and sit it on the shelf till i get my other machine. I would recommend both of yours now. just happened to have two angle brackets off a couple of old electric boxes and found a thumb screw the right size off one of the scrap tools that are in the dead bin box for used parts, "When i was repairing a lot of tools and i had tons of dead tools people didn't want to have fixed, so for a while I would recondition them and sell on ebay, not bad money but had to stop when i got stuck in this chair) and a screw on the other side so it worked great, Thanks for the plans
    Thanks
    Tim Emler

9. Default

Tim,
    I am happy to hear you got it worked out. When I get a moment, I should go through the PDF and instructions and clean it up with better diagrams and descriptions. Thanks for the feedback!

- Frederick
    Frederick Potter
    Editions by Frederick
    http://www.editionsbyfrederick.com

Keep 98% of the dust out of your machine with this free dust collector:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e-final-answer

Cool

Frederick,
    I built a dust collector from the plans you posted and I works great! (Much better than the one I made out of aluminum flashing and wood) I modified it slightly, I put a ¾ X ½ X 11¾ inch piece of wood on the bottom drilled two holes in it and put two ¼ x20 T nuts in the holes to hold it on the Carvewright.
    Thanks for posting the plans!
    Denny

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast