Thread: easy fix using shellac

Default easy fix using shellac

i recently made something for a friend and had to contend with how to gilt and paint the filigree work but not spend days sanding and planing.

Here is it; apply 2 coats of shellac to your work, let it dry and then carve away.

Now you can just spray on your paint or whatever and wipe off the excess, but the un-shellac'd part retains the finish

check out the results here

Very nice job Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by LargeAdam View Post
    i recently made something for a friend and had to contend with how to gilt and paint the filigree work but not spend days sanding and planing.

Here is it; apply 2 coats of shellac to your work, let it dry and then carve away.

Now you can just spray on your paint or whatever and wipe off the excess, but the un-shellac'd part retains the finish

That looks great, I guess you can spray a stain for the background and hopefully you can wipe stain off of the shellac area?

Very nice, I had thought about this method before but was concerned about the machine bit getting warm and pulling shellac everywhere into the machine I didn't want it to be.

How was clean up?

Thanks,
    Craig

Default Craig

Craig, it was a breeze....

after spraying on my finish, i wiped off the excess with kitchen roll, (Viva of course!) and that was all

i am experimenting with a colour below the shellac now and i am seeing eoog results

Default eoog???

after spraying on my finish, i wiped off the excess with kitchen roll, (Viva of course!) and that was all

i am experimenting with a colour below the shellac now and i am seeing eoog results
    What sort of results are these??? lol
    Richard

If things improve with age, then I am
    approaching MAGNIFICENT!!

Using v.1.170

I meant how was the clean up on the machine after the carve? No negative effects from the shellac?

Thanks,
    Craig

Default eoog

"eoog"?? Is that Vulcan?

Chief

Default shellac

So. you stain also before shellac and carving? Then the paint just wiippes off. Or did you not stain the wood as I cannot tell from the photo

Default its so easy..

In answer to many questions, i used maple for the piece i made and used a dark amber shellac, hence the colour

same applies, stain the surface and then shellac,carve, paint and wipe off..

Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy
    LargeAdam.....yes i am