Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corian???

Default Corian???

Hi Guys,

Anyone have any advice for corian finishes? I have a name plaque that I carved the name with the 60 degree V bit (centerline), came out great.

It's arctic white 1/4" corian that I got from the CW store.

I tried hand painting the letters...disaster.

I tried using Fusion Spray paint for plastics and then sanded the overspray off with 220, 320, and 400 grit sandpaper. The lettering came out beautiful but I lost the shine of the corian.

Anyone have any experience with this? How can I make it look good?

Thanks in advance for all replies,

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Hi Guys,

Anyone have any advice for corian finishes? I have a name plaque that I carved the name with the 60 degree V bit (centerline), came out great.

I tried using Fusion Spray paint for plastics and then sanded the overspray off with 220, 320, and 400 grit sandpaper. The lettering came out beautiful but I lost the shine of the corian.

Craig
    Craig I found this on corian,

Instructions
    Step 1

Clear your Corian countertop of food debris and other items, then spray down the surface with an ammonia-based household cleaner.
    Step 2

Use the abrasive side of your sponge to gently scrub the light scratches in the Corian surface.
    Step 3

Rinse the sponge in water and use the foam side to wipe away the ammonia-based cleaner. Wipe the counter dry with the hand towel.
    Step 4

Inspect the surface of the Corian to see if the light scrubbing action of the abrasive sponge buffed out the scratches. If not, proceed to the next step.
    Step 5

Load a piece of 800-grit sandpaper into your hand-held sander, then spray down your countertop with water. A wet sanding action is gentler to the Corian surface.
    Step 6

Sand the scratches, using light pressure while following a straight path across them. Periodically spray the area with water, keeping it moist, and alter your sanding course over the scratches 45 to 90 degrees for better coverage.
    Step 7

Wipe down the Corian countertop with the hand towel and then check your progress. If the scratches are not eliminated, remove the 800-grit sandpaper from your hand-held sander and replace it with the 400-grit sandpaper. Repeat the sanding process outlined in the step above.
    Step 8

Sand the Corian with wider strokes of the hand-held sander once your scratches are almost removed. The wider strokes will help blend in the sanded area with the rest of the countertop surface.
    Step 9

Spray the ammonia-based cleaner on the Corian, then wipe down the entire surface with the abrasive side of the sponge before rinsing it in water and wiping clean with the foam side.
    Step 10

Dry the Corian countertop with the hand towel and then load a finishing pad onto the hand-held sander.
    Step 11

Apply the white automotive polishing paste onto the Corian, following the manufacturer's instructions, and then buff the surface with the hand-held sander to create a fine, even sheen on the Corian countertop.
    Step 12

Wipe the paste residue away with the hand towel and enjoy your newly refinished Corian countertop.

Ike

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Hi Guys,

Craig
    Hey Craig,
    I carve lots of Corian and use the method you do...but finish with a good rubbing using a brass grill cleaning brush. It puts a beaujtiful sheen on the surface. It also works on lithophanes! Takes care of those little hairlines.

Jerry
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

Thanks guys, I'll have to try these out. I would think that a brass brush would mess up the paint but maybe I am thinking of the wrong thing.

Same with the wax, I don't think I could keep it out of the lettering, wouldnt it cover up my paint?

I will experiment a little and post back with results.

Thanks again,
    Craig

5. Default Polishing Corian

We sell Corian for artists, furniture and sign makers. The folowing are our recommendations:

First paint the lettering and allow to dry.

Next wet sand with 220 grit to remove excess paint.

Next wet sand with 400 grit, then 1000 grit.

Then you can finish with higher grits of MicroMesh or buff with a plastic polish like Novus 2 or a white automotive rubing compound.

This should achive the the level of sheen you would like.

When sanding, if you change direction by 90 degrees with each change of grit will speed the process. Sand with little pressure and this will go faster than you expect.

I hope this helps
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dolph View Post
    We sell Corian for artists, furniture and sign makers...

Ken
    Hello Ken,

Do you have a website I could visit to see what you offer?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

7. Default Corian

Our main website is under reconstruction.

Use this for now:

http://sites.google.com/site/coriartinc/

Thanks
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dolph View Post
    Our main website is under reconstruction.

Use this for now:

http://sites.google.com/site/coriartinc/

Thanks
    Ken
    Hi Ken,

Thank you for the link. I remember you now! We spoke on the phone this past January, and I recall how inspiring you were regarding the creative/artistic uses of Corian!

I need to get on the stick and start implementing some of the ideas you and I talked about!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

craig

i have done several corian projects like you described.

i spraypainted the letters also and sanded off the excess with 80 grit and then used special wet sanding paper(same one i use in my bowling ball spinner to resurface bowling balls) and continue to sand with smaller grit all the way to 1200 and it puts up on a real nice shine when complete. only tip i suggest is to clean the corian thourghly after each grit so you dont grind with leftover grit from the previous sanding.

good luck

kendall
    no chips on the floor means no money in the bank

Thanks all. I see what I am doing wrong is not sanding to a high enough grit. Also I have been dry sanding.

My local box stores only carry up to 600 grit.

I am planning on taking a ride to Woodcraft tomorrow to get some little box hinges and brass box feet, so I will see if they have some high grit I can throw in the cart.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I can't wait to try them out!!

Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast