Thread: For the More Experienced Out there

Default For the More Experienced Out there

Hey folks,

I have a question some of you professionals (or really experienced amatures) might be able to answer for me.

1) Regarding staining techniques.... how do you effectively use two different stains on the same piece of wood? Is it possible? What is the best technique. I would like to start learning how to colorize certain pieces with a stain instead of a paint, but all attempts to do this so far have ended up with a cover up coat of deep walnut to hide all..... any help would, well, help.

2) Years ago I knew a man that used to make custom doors in his home shop. These were solid wood doors and very, very beautiful pieces. He applied a wax film to the door, drew or stenciled his desing in, cut out pieces that were to be the deepest parts of the carving first and sandblasted, removing successive pieces of the wax coating to expose the next layer of wood. (The wax acted like a barrier and the sand blaster would not remove the wood underneath. I have been intrigued with this idea ever since I saw it but don't know if there is anywhere else in the world this is done? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Always trying to improve my skills!

[QUOTE=robbrigg2;109479]Hey folks,

I have a question some of you professionals (or really experienced amatures) might be able to answer for me.

1) Regarding staining techniques.... how do you effectively use two different stains on the same piece of wood? Is it possible? What is the best technique. I would like to start learning how to colorize certain pieces with a stain instead of a paint, but all attempts to do this so far have ended up with a cover up coat of deep walnut to hide all..... any help would, well, help.

The only way I have used two stains on a single piece was to first use a sealer on the wood to prevent bleeding and then apply the first to the are I wanted it. The I applied a second cost of sealer and stained again with the next color. ( I have placed a piece of blue painters tape over the first application after the second sealer coat just to make it easier to apply the second stain.) Stain doesn't take quite the same nor dry as quickly, kind of a try it and learn.

2) Years ago I knew a man that used to make custom doors in his home shop. These were solid wood doors and very, very beautiful pieces. He applied a wax film to the door, drew or stenciled his desing in, cut out pieces that were to be the deepest parts of the carving first and sandblasted, removing successive pieces of the wax coating to expose the next layer of wood. (The wax acted like a barrier and the sand blaster would not remove the wood underneath. I have been intrigued with this idea ever since I saw it but don't know if there is anywhere else in the world this is done? Anyone?

Done a little sandblasting but not an expert, I have found that I can again apply a layer of masking/painters tape over the area I want to preserve and then blast the rest. Depends on how deep you want the etching to end up. Tape only protects so long then gets eaten up by the sand/media. Basically you will need to apply something that will cause the media to bounce off the surface vs etching. Have noticed the dark grain of many woods such as pine will not etch as fast as the 'lighter' portion so it doesn't come out as smooth as I desired. Again, possibly by changing the distance from the nozzle or even the angle this could change. Maybe one of the more experienced can offer tips.

Good luck, Rick H.

Check this out, this may be what you are looking for

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ez...tain_3379.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by robbrigg2 View Post
    Hey folks,

Thanks in advance!

Always trying to improve my skills!
    Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by andes View Post
    Check this out, this may be what you are looking for

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ez...tain_3379.aspx
    Hey Andi
    good site thanks

Hey thanks Guys. I don't sand blast now, but the work this man did was absolutely stunning. At the completion his doors looked handcarved and sold for a pretty penny as well.

I love this article on staing. It is very informative. Thank you for sharing it.