Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality Computer Recomendations

Just North of the South Side, Western Edge of the Eastern Slope, Denver.

Default Quality Computer Recomendations

Hi there,

I am preparing to purchase a new laptop for my carvewright and am wondering about specs and whatnot. Most of the local stores only advertise gaming or entertainment or other broad heading that doesnt really help me out with what I need for Designer. What do you have for a machine that is responsive and can render quickly and keep up with you as you clickety click?

I figure there is another thread about this but if it's more than 20 minutes old it's obsolete!

Default i have a $295

e-machine from wally world and it does just fine. i think it has 2 megs of ram.

Kix,

Welcome back long time no see!!

Being some what geek challenged myself I would think you want to lean in the direction of the gaming system because of the video components and drivers of the system. I would also load up on the ram, more is better especially if you tend to run multiple applications at the same time.

There should be some great deals on systems with the weak economy and holiday season coming at us at break neck speed.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Get a dual core processor and at least 2 gigs of ram (4 would be ideal and can be had cheaply if you look around). Make sure you get a video chip from NVidia or ATI as Intel video cards never work well with 3D.

PM me with your budget and I can recommend a few for you.

Default black friday

remember black friday is coming up after thanksgiving, you can usually get great deals on electronics and such. the only thing is you have to be first in line, whenever they open.
    -Jason

Default Good laptop

Kix,

Here is something from TigerDirect that I wish I had an excuse to get.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Any current model laptop (not "netbook") will run Designer and any photo editing software just fine. If you want to play with 3D modeling, then that can get a bit more involved.

3D for gaming is not the same as 3D modeling. Games use DirectX10, while Designer relies upon OpenGL. In the current versions of most 3D modeling programs, the lines get a bit more blurred. They all support OpenGL, but many are transitioning and supporting DirectX10 also.

The main requirements I would look for are dual core, 2Gb ram and Windows 7. This is all based on Designer being the primary use. If there are other apps you need to use, then their might be some additional requirements to consider.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HighTechOkie View Post
    3D for gaming is not the same as 3D modeling. Games use DirectX10, while Designer relies upon OpenGL.
    3D is 3D whether for gaming or modeling. better graphics cards let the processor offload more work to it so the computer can work faster. A lower quality graphics card may run Designer the same as a "gaming" card, but the better card will allow the computer to run more programs concurrently.

Also, some games use OpenGL and some 3D design packages use directX. I have a computer science degree and have studied 3D programming, so I know a bit about this.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    Kix,

Here is something from TigerDirect that I wish I had an excuse to get.
    that's a decent machine, but you can do better for the price.

No really correct. 3D gaming typically get optimized for both graphics rendering and the physics of motion. (collision detection, etc). Rendering and shading are probalby most important with application 3D (autocad, Solidworks, lightwave, etc)... where are realtime graphics & transition are most important for 3D gaming. Trying to use own system for the other, you will run in to limitations either way you go. High 3d App card boast hugh display resolutions which most gaming card cant match. And high end gaming cards are geaed for super fast realtime display and updates.

I also have a master's in Computer Science. But as with all things are this forum.... opinions will vary.

Doug Fletcher

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast