Thread: Creating Custom Moldings

Angry Creating Custom Moldings

I bought my Carvewright for the purpose of making and recreating custom moldings and patterns. I've found that the machine is extremely limited in this area. The scan package automatically adds draft angles on any 90 degree edge, changing the moldings. I also hoped the software would be able to extrude molding profiles along curves/splines other than just straight lines, it appears that it cannot. For instance, I have a project on the table now that requires quarter round molding to follow a radius, and it feels like I've tried everything possible in the software. I even called Carvewright prior to buying the machine and asked if it had this capability, and they of course said it did. He neglected to mention the machine would only extrude along splines with the limited bit selection, not custom profiles. When I bought this machine, I wasn't looking for approximations, I wanted accuracy. Someone please tell me how I'm wrong about all this. If the machine can't create accurate custom moldings, why advertise that it can? Seems the capabilities are greatly overstated.

Of course that you can create. takes a time to learn and to create. take slowly,read and learn. and of course ask in this forum for help and you will received.
    regards
    hilda

What size Quarter Round and what radius.

Mouldings, since the machine has a thickness restriction, have to be stacked to be done. If you think about this, it can be done by layering your stock. Look at the result you want from the end edge. Carve and layer using vector lines for speed and place custom raster carvings where you want them. The glue ups can look very nice if done correctly. The added advantage would be the strength of the layered piece.

The best combination would probably be a router table/table saw with the CW to do the finer work.

Like Hilda says, learn the software and have fun with it.
    Last edited by SteveEJ; 10-24-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

There's always the STL importer... The attached mpc was drawn up in Rhinoceros and then imported into the CW software via the STL plug-in. The whole thing took about 5 minutes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ROCKin' with my Dust Collector - Get the mpc here
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ve-it-yourself

The quarter round I'm trying to create is 1 1/4". I'm trying to make 360 degree radius pieces, on a 18" diameter circle. I realize it will have to be a layered object, the real problem I'm having is that the 1 1/4" quarter round has to be scanned?, and I need to be able to extrude the profile along the curve. I have scanned the profiles already, but am unable to create the circle. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by smarder View Post
    The quarter round I'm trying to create is 1 1/4". I'm trying to make 360 degree radius pieces, on a 18" diameter circle. I realize it will have to be a layered object, the real problem I'm having is that the 1 1/4" quarter round has to be scanned?, and I need to be able to extrude the profile along the curve. I have scanned the profiles already, but am unable to create the circle. Make sense?
    You will have to do two 9" 180 degree pieces and glue. If you are going to layer then I would stagger the joints for strength. If you know how to use a CAD program then design it there and import it into the STL loader (if you have that option).

Would it not be easier to use a router with a radius attachment and cut it that way?
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Default the free program

called :wolfies gradient designer" will help some. its uploaded somewher on here if you do a search. it will do linear and curved profiles.
    there is a tendancy with this machine to want it to work the way you want it to but once you learn how it works it is a dream machine.

Default forgot to say

welcome to the forum. as long as your custom profile bit is a plunge cutting bit it should work even if its not on the list just pick one that is similar and do a test carve.

Lets see a picture of the molding you are trying to reproduce. If this is a carved molding, then it does get more complicated.

Within Designer, it is not possible. You will need to save a greyscale png of the molding you scanned, open it in a 3d modeling program, clean it up and then you can create the circle path to place the pattern around. Slice that image into sections small enough to fit in the CarveWright, save the section(s) as greyscale .png or .stl (and use the STL Importer).

Several of us on here with 3d modeling software that can create the files for you if you need.

Rob