Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEWS FLASH save wood and Nerves when Your Carving Stalls

Default Textures

Don't know if you all know this, but did you know you can use multiple textures by simply overlaping a design. Might seem elementary but it is something I think most don't think about, but when you do it you can create some pretty nice textures.

Default Center LIne Text Wanna Be

Also, if you don't have centerline text, but you want to make something with a centerline like print simply do you text work in AI, Photoshop, Corel, or anything else and make sure you do it in white. Import it into your project (or do the whole design with text there and import it) and your carving will take on a centerline quality as it is carved.

Just something I ran across in doing a project.

Rob

Al posted these centerline characters some time ago and if you don't have Centerline you could copy and past then on a project. Takes a little time but it's worth it.

abc123Greybeard.mpc

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    Rob

Al posted these centerline characters some time ago and if you don't have Centerline you could copy and past then on a project. Takes a little time but it's worth it.

abc123Greybeard.mpc
    Thanks my friend

Quote Originally Posted by robbrigg2 View Post
    Also, if you don't have centerline text, but you want to make something with a centerline like print simply do you text work in AI, Photoshop, Corel, or anything else and make sure you do it in white. Import it into your project (or do the whole design with text there and import it) and your carving will take on a centerline quality as it is carved.

Just something I ran across in doing a project.
    Tried this out but can't seem to get it to work. I did my text in Corel, white with no BG and when I imported it, it just came out with nothing on it. Tried it with a BG (10% black) and it works, but the text is not flat. The BG show up. Don't know what I am doing wrong...any hints?? I think this would be a good tool if I can get it to work right. Thanx.
    Richard

If things improve with age, then I am
    approaching MAGNIFICENT!!

Using v.1.170

Quote Originally Posted by Woodhacker View Post
    Tried this out but can't seem to get it to work. I did my text in Corel, white with no BG and when I imported it, it just came out with nothing on it. Tried it with a BG (10% black) and it works, but the text is not flat. The BG show up. Don't know what I am doing wrong...any hints?? I think this would be a good tool if I can get it to work right. Thanx.

Hey Richard, I think I forgot to mention that you need to have a slight outline around the text. I just tried another one and used a 2 pnt outline weight in black. Export it with no background in a png format and then import into designer. Once there place on the board and remove the feather... and that should solve the issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails text.jpg  
    Last edited by robbrigg2; 10-20-2009 at 12:47 AM.

This text "trick" is great to know. I've been a bit disappointed in doing text. I haven't put a lot of time in that area though. I chalked it up to not knowing how to chose a font. There is so much to try and to learn.

Keep pouring it out... so my gray sponge-like brain matter can soak it up. (I don't trust the brain matter so I keep a BIG notebook.)

Thanks for that trick, Robert. Signs are a big seller in my area. I'd like to enter the market. Right now Centerline is not anywhere in sight in my budget.

I took an unfinished Penn State Nittany Lion into my doctor's office and I was mobbed. I live about 75 miles from St College so it's a big school around these parts... and moms go crazy for something for the college kid.

The only reason it was unfinished was... it was for my youngest daughter who will graduate next year after 13 years of part-time and raising 4 kids. She loves to finish wood.... and who am I to not give my "baby" what she wants..... <tee hee hee>

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by robbrigg2 View Post
    Hey Richard, I think I forgot to mention that you need to have a slight outline around the text. I just tried another one and used a 2 pnt outline weight in black. Export it with no background in a png format and then import into designer. Once there place on the board and remove the feather... and that should solve the issue.
    Burgie, A new, proud owner

Default Recessed Text

Hi Rob,

This is the way I used to do mine with CW Designer,
    before I bought Centerline. I still use it occasionally
    when I want recessed text in a Carver Region
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inverted Raster Text 1a.jpg   Inverted Raster Text 2a.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Quote Originally Posted by nikki1492 View Post
    Signs are a big seller in my area. I'd like to enter the market. Right now Centerline is not anywhere in sight in my budget.
    Cool!
    Hello,

When you are able, the $100 investment in the Centerline will save you a lot of time for your sign lettering and you'll be able to multiply your output significantly. You mentioned signs are a big seller in your area. Even if you sold just five small signs for $25 apiece, that should cover your initial cost immediately (wood and the Centerline), then you can start enjoying a profit from that point on. Maybe you could request a 50% deposit from a few of your customers to help expedite the process of obtaining the Centerline function.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Hi Rob,

This is the way I used to do mine with CW Designer,
    before I bought Centerline. I still use it occasionally
    when I want recessed text in a Carver Region
    Thanks for that Ken. I do like the effect of the outline function and have used it what I like about the way this works is the crispness of the edges. I want to get centerline, and the scanner when I can but its down the road for me. This was just an unintended side effect that I discovered by chance and wanted to share

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast