Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS FLASH save wood and Nerves when Your Carving Stalls

Default NEWS FLASH save wood and Nerves when Your Carving Stalls

Hey all,

I don't know if this has ever come up for you but it has for me many, many times. Your carving a nice piece of wood, or a very long project file and half way into it you get a stall of some sort or another. Maybe you had a problem that you have now fixed but that doesn't help you with your wood.

Here is what you do. If you put a carve region over almost all of the previously carved stuff of the design, and then set it to .000 you can start off just before you stalled and thereby save your wood, your time, and your mind.

I hope you never have to use this technique, but if you do it might save you a little. PS if you don't already know, if you stalled on the cut out, go back to your file, delete the carving info (but don't save or you will write over your project) and upload only the cutout regions. The machine can go back over and re cut out your design.

Just want to be a blessing.

THanks

Robert

Thanks for sharing this Robert. A couple of times I have had a "fatal errer: please reboot machine" due a small static discharge after vacuuming during the carve. I always try to stay grounded when the vac is running, but sometimes it doesn't work. Anyhoo....each time that has happened, I did as you suggested and the carve pretty much took off right where it left off. On one carve, there was some discrepency, but with a little time and a lot of Dremel work, I was able to save the carve. I can attest that this will work.
    Richard

If things improve with age, then I am
    approaching MAGNIFICENT!!

Using v.1.170

3. Default

Robert,
    it seems you have discovered on your own what has been standard practice for a while now. There has been numerous posts about this technique.
    Doesn't mean that you are not a genius for discovering this, just that you are not the first. Keep sharing your ideas!
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

No no problem, I wanted to share it (Again I guess) because when I talked to LHR about the problem they told me they knew of no way to restart... sorry for the double speak but Repetition is a good teacher.

Hey Robert,

I think of it as a refresher Post for some of us, --- (Like Me)
    and good new information for the new folks out there,
    that are just getting started and haven't run into the problem yet.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Hey Ken, your new Icon reminded me of the Boobee's I got in an email
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boobies.jpg  

Thumbs up

LOL!! ---Boobee's

Ya gotta be Kidding ---- I love them!!
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Please as a very new user, can you please explain this technique with a little more detail (for the very slow ((me)) !) like “then set it to .000” ……..Ummm set what, and how ?
    Like I said I new , but not to new not to have a stall !!!! hell of a waste of time and material !!!!
    Thanks for any information !!!

Quote Originally Posted by scamp62 View Post
    Please as a very new user, can you please explain this technique with a little more detail (for the very slow ((me)) !) like “then set it to .000” ……..Ummm set what, and how ?
    Like I said I new , but not to new not to have a stall !!!! hell of a waste of time and material !!!!
    Thanks for any information !!!
    No problem....

When you have a stall or broken bit for that matter....

Simply take the picture and draw a square that covers up all of the area that you have already carved. Then on the depth setting set it to .000 this will in effect say I want a square that is not carved put right here. When you do this you will see your pattern under that area disapear. If you have a carved region here it will still show up but that is ok. The machine will simply start the carve at the point you specify. I start about 1 - 2 inches before the stall to ensure I get the right spot.

Does this help? If not I will post pictures tonight.

Thanks

(Glad you liked the Boo Bee's)

10. Default

O.K. I well go for the pictures !
    I can run high-end 3D graphics packages ( LightWaves 3D) with my eyes closed !!
    But this I really need to be hand fed ! with this ……….
    Thank you for all your help !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast