Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW - Where are the current manuals????

Default CW - Where are the current manuals????

I cannot understand how a company can release a software, addon or upgrade without a current manual of operation to tell you how to use each and every item in the software.
    The current manual for the Carvewright software is up to version 1.132 when we are using 1.153?!?!?!
    I am particularly insenced that there is absolutely no manual for the Pattern Editor.
    For a tool that is high quality and high cost this is an absolute disgrace!!!

Default Bump

Bumping because it deserves repeating!!!!!
    Steven Alford
    Colorado Springs, CO
    V1.152

After starting Designer, did you check under "Help" for the manuals there? Did you try the links after following the "Web Account Login" under help as well?

Deolman,

I think you might have misunderstood the issue. It not the he cant find manuals. It is just that the release of the manuals for any give update is far far past when the sodtware is released. Perosnally, I would rather have that happen that have them wiat 6 months to release the update. In a perfect world they would be release at the same time and in a timely mannor.. but I'd rathe have the updated software as soon as possible and just live with the outdated manuals.

Generally forum members make up for the lack of documentions on LHR's part.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Thank you Doug. That is exactly what I am talking about.
    How long do you think Microsoft could get away with having help files (manuals) for XP when you are running Vista???
    Name me another company with software that runs 2-3 revisions behind on their help files? If it was not for this great tool needing the software to run then it would not be an issue, but that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
    How long do you think Microsoft could get away with having help files (manuals) for XP when you are running Vista???
    Name me another company with software that runs 2-3 revisions behind on their help files? If it was not for this great tool needing the software to run then it would not be an issue, but that is not the case.
    Well.. in order to be fair you have to compare apples to apples. Are there many BIG companies (Microsoft, etc) that have this problem. No.. but they have thousands and thousands of employees. You said name another company that makes software that runs behind current revisions... well that one is pretty easy. Just pick any small company that is mostly geared to the consumer/hobbiest market and it is almost standard practice.

I own a Klic-N-kut (vinyl cutting machine) and I cant remember the last manual update, but there have been several software updates. I also bought a Vex robotics kit when they first came out. Software was updated almost monthly but manuals maybe once a year. My Brother embroidery machine is a little better. Manuals generally only lag a month or so behind revisions... but Brother isn't really a small company.. but Im guessing the embrodiery division is a "smaller" part of the whole company. I could go on and on. and Im sure other will chime in with examples as well.

It is unfortunately that they LHR just doesnt have the mass to hire enough staff to always make sure the manuals are available when the updates come out. But like I said in my first post. I'd much rather have timely updates that fix real problems that have to wait 6 months for a manual before my machine works again.

Pick your poison... give me the updates.. i'll muddle thru the lack of documentation.

Of course there is one added bonus to lagging documentation. Since we dont always know eaxctly what a command is supposed to do.... many of the adventurous members have figured out very cool and uniques ways of using some of the techniques. Had there been an up-to-date manual, Im sure many of these techiques would have ben greatly delayed in being discovered.

It could be worse... take a look at alot of the open source software out there... sometimes the documenations doesnt exist at all!

just my two cents... well.. with the economy.. 1 cent.

Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post

Another way to look at this is the updates are free. I personally would rather have free software updates and no manual versus paying for software updates with a manual.

8. Default

Let’s be honest, don’t most of us read the manual after we mess up? Even Microsoft although they put out a manual on new releases, fails to mention all aspects of the release. I for one like the adventure of finding new and better things on my own, or just reading the posts and learning from all the talent we have on the forum.
    I agree, get us the software updates first and thank goodness free, I don't mind waiting for the manual, nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Thanks to all that venture forth and share.
    edit:
    My 1/2 cent
    "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
    ~Groucho Marx~

I also am a Karaoke Host and use a program from a company consisting of 5 people and they have never put out an update/upgrade without updating the manual to include any new features. When you have an add-on like Pattern Editor that isn't free then yes I would expect amanual on how to navigate through the operations and tools of the program. If they can hire a programmer to create the software surely he or someone in the company can at least write a simple manual describing each function, how to use it and what it does for you.
    Same thing should apply to the main program when they add or change functions. Sure I could see the manual being updated a month or so after release, but when the "current" manual is several updates behind the current release that is not acceptable. Either update the manual or at least post on the web site additional information about the changes.

I agree that it would be nice to have manuals that are updated concurrently with each release. Someday, that might be possible, but in the meantime, I try my very best to cover changes/enhancements via the Tips & Tricks. Not a perfect solution and incomplete at best, but hopefully that helps a little to keep everyone somewhat up-to-date.

NOTE: Jeff Birt is our contributing author for the next issue of the Tips & Tricks - an updated tutorial on the Pattern Editor features!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 10-21-2009 at 04:48 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast