Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drillong 1/4" holes-oval???

Default drillong 1/4" holes-oval???

I set up a program to drill a series of 1/4" shelf pin holes. Works like a charm, except....all the holes are not round. Close but not. Could the software be modified to use a 1/4" spiral bit and do them in one pass - like a drill?
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

I wish I knew the answer to your question pkunk so you would get an answer. I have been watching your question for the last day or so and wish someone would give you the correct answer. This is a good question. I just got my carvewright back today after it has been in the shop for the last week and am ready to start carving.

Default Re: drillong 1/4" holes-oval???

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk
    Could the software be modified to use a 1/4" spiral bit and do them in one pass - like a drill?
    You should be able to override the drilling bit with a 1/4" ballnose when it prompts you for the bit, but I'll have to check into this.

Are the ovals longer length-wise or width-wise? There might be a simple calibration fix that will resolve this problem.
    Britt Yenne
    CarveWright

Quote Originally Posted by yenne
    Could the software be modified to use a 1/4" spiral bit and do them in one pass - like a drill?
    You should be able to override the drilling bit with a 1/4" ballnose when it prompts you for the bit, but I'll have to check into this.

Are the ovals longer length-wise or width-wise? There might be a simple calibration fix that will resolve this problem.
    Well sorta width wise...here's the file
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Why can't you just program it to drill 1/8 " holes and replace the 1/8 " bit with the same lenth 1/4" bit? later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Problems with oval-ized circles usually indicate either a excessive gear backlash or a calibration issue with the board position roller. You can vacuum the machine and clean the roller, but if the problem persists then its settings may need to be recalibrated. Let me know, and I'll ping Chris Morlier about how best to do this in the field.

One way to check for sure is to use the Measure Board function to measure a longer board (like 48 inches) and compare to a tape measure.
    Britt Yenne
    CarveWright

Problems with oval-ized circles usually indicate either a excessive gear backlash or a calibration issue with the board position roller. You can vacuum the machine and clean the roller, but if the problem persists then its settings may need to be recalibrated. Let me know, and I'll ping Chris Morlier about how best to do this in the field.

One way to check for sure is to use the Measure Board function to measure a longer board (like 48 inches) and compare to a tape measure.
    I cleaned the machine & measured a 72 inch melamine board-dead on. The gears are tight as I had a slippage there awhile back and Chris walked me through the process of repair.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

I cleaned the machine & measured a 72 inch melamine board-dead on.
    Excellent! Are you still getting oval holes?
    Britt Yenne
    CarveWright

I cleaned the machine & measured a 72 inch melamine board-dead on.
    Excellent! Are you still getting oval holes?
    yes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hole_995.jpg  

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

I think we've got a machine here doing the same thing, and we're investigating a fix.
    Britt Yenne
    CarveWright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast