Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double sided carve - thick wood

Quote Originally Posted by nikki1492 View Post

And now on to another question. What (ball park) depth should I set to do a 2 sided carve with copy and align the pattern on the back? I don't have a planer so I've sanded about 1/8" off between the 2 sides.

Thanks so much for your patience and newbie questions. I'm greener at carving than the lumber which I bought.
    Hello,

Perhaps this will help answer some of your questions...Tips & tricks - ISSUE 24 September 2009"Two-Sided Carve Techniques"
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by nikki1492 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm having a great time learning what this machine will do.

I believe my stock is thick enough for double sided carving. I've bought 200 bf locally harvested Northern Red Oak from the hills of western PA.

Some was dry so I have something to play with. But the real problem was getting the rest dried. I didn't find a solution that worked for me except to build my own solar kiln.

I now have a charge in for the winter and working quite nicely.

All the stock is 1" thick and 8"wide with some 10 footers but mostly 8 foot.

And now on to another question. What (ball park) depth should I set to do a 2 sided carve with copy and align the pattern on the back? I don't have a planer so I've sanded about 1/8" off between the 2 sides.

Thanks so much for your patience and newbie questions. I'm greener at carving than the lumber which I bought.
    Nikki,

Sounds like a great buy on the wood!!

For the 2 side carve depth question the latest tips&tricks newsletter covers the topic of 2 sided carves.

In case you were not aware of the news letter here is a link to them
    http://carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

and here is the link to the 2 sided carve pdf
    http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_Ti...cks_Sept09.pdf

I could not find this one on the CW site but Michael of Carvebuddy.com had it..

EDIT: OOPS TO SLOW!!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Nikki,

If you get a chance post some pictures of your solar kiln. I plan to build one and posting in in Techniques would benefit a bunch of us...

Thanks,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

try setting the virtual board to 2", so that you can see if the vector cuts line up in designer

Hi all!

I've am putting the kiln information and photos a separate thread directly under Techniques. It's easier to find any information in a search if it is a separate thread.

Forgot to tell y'all that the lumber 200 bf of red oak I got was only $100. For delivery, unloaded and stacked on stickers was an extra $25. All the sawmills wanted $1 a bf to kiln dry my lumber. Now I have my own kiln and my foot in the door of a sawmill. I'm hoping to get some other species of hardwoods which are locally grown.

The lumber is not "select" grade but that works for me. I will be making only small projects so it will be easy to work around the board's natural 'flaws'.

Thanks for the link to Sept 09 issue of the Tips & Tricks.... I have up to Aug 09.... when do they usually come out?

I have only one regret..... that I didn't buy my carver sooner. I had been researching and thinking about it since early July. For me, it was a practice in self control. But it's here now and I am having a blast!

I first bought a reconditioned Compucarve from Sears last month.... the only recons that come with more than a DOA warranty. It worked for one week before it died. No problems with Sears. They had that one picked up and gave me credit for every penny I paid, including shipping.

During the week that it was running I became addicted. I decided to order a new one with the 5 year extended warranty.

These parts of that agreement blew me away "We will directly pay on your behalf for the cost of parts and services performed by a qualified repair provider..... including repairs necessary due to normal wear and tear. The warranty is transferable with the unit and it provides for 1 preventative maintenance visit each year.

Please check out my solar kiln thread. I hope it helps someone.

Thanks.... and I'll be around doing what I do best...... asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Nikki,

If you get a chance post some pictures of your solar kiln. I plan to build one and posting in in Techniques would benefit a bunch of us...

Thanks,

AL
    Burgie, A new, proud owner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12