Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rules of Dust Collecting

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Alford View Post
    When you run the wire inside the ducting, do you just connect the wire to the metal of the dust collecting machine or do you actually have to have a grounding rod of some sort?? And at the other end (the PVC connected to the CW) what do you connect the wire to? Or can it just be attached to the PVC pipe??

You will want it grounded at both ends (one end work, but both is better). I ground to the metal case on my blower, then to an earth ground I have runnning through out my shop. You can use the case ground of the machine you are using or the ground from any power outlet. The main idea here is to provide a path to ground for any static buildup you get from air flowing through PVC or any other non-conductive pipe your are using. Now if you want you can use metal ducting like professional shops do, me I'm cheap and use PVC.

Default Lookin' for some DC advice

Ok... looking around for a Dust Collector and don't really know that much about them. Lowes has one for $299, 1 micron and 1 HP. Is that good? Sears has some craftsman DCs but they're a little more expensive. Any recommendations on what price range, HP and Micron to look for? Hey, I'm getting one this weekend (one way or another). Floyd, I'll be ordering your top end loader as soon as I get me the DC.
    I was also wondering..... it seems that while I was carving on some 1" cedar that I bought, it seems like I had ALOT more fine dust than I usually have with pine and oak that I usually buy at HD. Is that possible? Excuse my ignorance, but I just don't know a whole lot about wood and even less about wood crafting! ha
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Ok... looking around for a Dust Collector and don't really know that much about them. Lowes has one for $299, 1 micron and 1 HP. Is that good? Sears has some craftsman DCs but they're a little more expensive. Any recommendations on what price range, HP and Micron to look for? Hey, I'm getting one this weekend (one way or another). Floyd, I'll be ordering your top end loader as soon as I get me the DC.
    I was also wondering..... it seems that while I was carving on some 1" cedar that I bought, it seems like I had ALOT more fine dust than I usually have with pine and oak that I usually buy at HD. Is that possible? Excuse my ignorance, but I just don't know a whole lot about wood and even less about wood crafting! ha
    Jerry,

You want the smallest micron filter you can get. Smaller means it traps more of the fine dust inside the bag and does not release it back into your shop and your lungs..

The Lowe's 1 HP for $299 sounds about normal. I bet it is made by Delta. What was the CFM rating on it? Mine is 650 CFM @ 1 HP..some 1 HP units do have a little higher CFM rating..

If they have a floor model you might ask for the manager of the tool section and see about talking them down a bit for floor model. It never hurts to ask!!

Cedar will give off a lot of fine dust so do not be alarmed by that..

Well I guess I had better go get a insert made up for you.. Just send me an email when you are ready!! And Thanks!!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Jerry,

I bought this one a few months ago. So far I'm happy with it. I only use it with the CW's so I didnt need a multiple machine DC system.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-HP...ollector/G1163

I also got the 1 micron bag to go with it.

I like that it is wall mount or can be rolled around on the floor. I know there are other manufacutures that also make similar units.

Doug Fletcher
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 09-30-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Jerry,

You want the smallest micron filter you can get. Smaller means it traps more of the fine dust inside the bag and does not release it back into your shop and your lungs..

The Lowe's 1 HP for $299 sounds about normal. I bet it is made by Delta. What was the CFM rating on it? Mine is 650 CFM @ 1 HP..some 1 HP units do have a little higher CFM rating..

If they have a floor model you might ask for the manager of the tool section and see about talking them down a bit for floor model. It never hurts to ask!!

Cedar will give off a lot of fine dust so do not be alarmed by that..

Well I guess I had better go get a insert made up for you.. Just send me an email when you are ready!! And Thanks!!!
    Thanks for the info. Seems like although Lowes has them, there aren't any at any of the stores that I've checking around the Dallas area. I hate to have to order one so I'm gonna keep looking around. I may go and check Sears and see about the craftsman that I see on the internet. I'll see if they have one available. For sure I'll be ordering your insert and l'll contact you as soon as I locate a DC. I've got Paypal already all set up so all that should be OK as far as placing an order thru you. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Jerry,

I bought this one a few months ago. So far I'm happy with it. I only use it with the CW's so I didnt need a multiple machine DC system.

I like that it is wall mount or can be rolled around on the floor. I know there are other manufacutures that also make similar units.

Doug Fletcher
    Hey Doug,

So what did it take, about 7 days to get it? It looks pretty good. I like that it's small and all I'll use it for is the CW. I've got one of the small (barn looking sheds 12x20) from HD that I'm trying to fix up for my wood working area. If I can't find anything locally I may just order that one.

Hmm... I'm from Pa and so is grizzly... so it only took 3 days for me.. not sure how many warehouses thay have. I'd say 3-7 days woud be a good guess.

Doug Fletcher

8. Default

Jerry,

Doug Fletcher

Doug, I have been considering the very same one. As I mentioned in another thread "eventually" when I get my shop built I will invest in a real nice big cyclone DC system but until then I am also working in a limited space so I don't have the room to get anything real big. With that said, I know you mentioned you are fairly happy with it so I assume it does a pretty decent job with the CW. I think I might setup both a downdraft and the front mounted DC system and I am hoping that this little unit will suffice for that. I have also thought about getting a Oneida Dust Duputy to mount between the CW and the Grizzly to help with separating the dust out of the air to keep the filter bag in the Grizzly from getting full but I don't want to take too much away from the limited CFM that this unit provides. Any thougts to this?

Thank

Brian

You also might want to check out craigslist.com
    Someone in your neighborhood may have a dust collector that they are trying to get rid of, cheap.
    Steven Alford
    Colorado Springs, CO
    V1.152

Hmm... I'm from Pa and so is grizzly... so it only took 3 days for me.. not sure how many warehouses thay have. I'd say 3-7 days woud be a good guess.

Doug Fletcher
    Just ordered my little Grizzley 1163. Doug, I noticed that it didn't show coming with 4" hoses? Can I just buy that at HD or Lowes? Also noticed in accessories section that only the 3.0 micron bag and another bag that was for the 1163 so I ordered both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12