Thread: Rock Chuck

Default Rock Chuck

I understand the QC is considered a consumable part by LHR. I have recently installed rocks on both of my carvewright. This may be a silly question, but by the looks of how the rock is engineered, I am assuming i can consider this a "non consumable" part (ie... it will probably outlast the machine)? Is there any maitanence that WE SHOULD do with rock?

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    I understand the QC is considered a consumable part by LHR. I have recently installed rocks on both of my carvewright. This may be a silly question, but by the looks of how the rock is engineered, I am assuming i can consider this a "non consumable" part (ie... it will probably outlast the machine)? Is there any maitanence that WE SHOULD do with rock?
    Hi dbfletcher,
    As you have noticed, the chuck is very robust, and it is very difficult for any debris to get into it. The only thing that would cause problems is if you are in a very humid environment, and allowed it to rust from excessive moisture or condensation. So, to answer your question, wiping it off with a little 3-in-1 oil from time to time would keep that from happening. You might take a Q-tip with a drip of oil on it and wipe up in the bore from time to time too... Everything is "Black Oxide" coated, so it will help prevent the rust, but it is not rust-proof.... If you have other shop tools that have the black treatment on them you know what i mean.
    If you have any other questions feel free to post....

Thank you for your business...

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    Hi dbfletcher,
    As you have noticed, the chuck is very robust, and it is very difficult for any debris to get into it. The only thing that would cause problems is if you are in a very humid environment, and allowed it to rust from excessive moisture or condensation. So, to answer your question, wiping it off with a little 3-in-1 oil from time to time would keep that from happening. You might take a Q-tip with a drip of oil on it and wipe up in the bore from time to time too... Everything is "Black Oxide" coated, so it will help prevent the rust, but it is not rust-proof.... If you have other shop tools that have the black treatment on them you know what i mean.
    If you have any other questions feel free to post....

Thank you for your business...

Ron

Why doesn't anybody answer e-mails from the http://www.cw-parts.com website? I have been desperately trying to reach someone. Not a good way to do business at all.

Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Default Rock Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post

Sorry to hear about Ron. But I already ordered the chuck set off his site. Will it be sent or do I need to contact Paypal? If you have a clue.

Loopster.... Saw another post you did that the machine was reported stolen... Bought off of Craigslist..... wow...

So it must have a QC... You want to upgrade....

Options.... ROCK chuck... Well, that is a dead end at this time. I have bought a few used from users switching to a CarveTite.

CarveTite... Likely the best option for you. LHR sells them and supports them. It would require the CT Bits.

Musclechuck... They make a Rock type chuck for a series of Routers and also for the CW. I bought one but have never installed it. It screws on to where you would remove the QC from your truck. But that "Remove" is a a gamble.... The QC is put on with forever Red Lock tite and I have broken the special square drive bits used on the top of the chuck to hold the shaft while trying to remove the old QC to install a ROCK or Musclechuck. I have trashed 2 Trucks and gave up on them.

With that said... Go with a LHR CarveTite...

You will need to look and see if the machine has a old 18 pin FSC Cable or the newer 14 pin. Look at the pictures to tell. Never mix 18 and 14 pin parts... It's a Circuit Board on the Machine side. The flat Cable either 18 or 14 pin. Then the matching Circuit Board on the Z Motor. Mixing parts and you can kill the machine... due to the width of the pins shorting.

The 14 pin flat cable is better as the wires are thicker.

In the picture I call it a 16 pin but it is 18 pin.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06659_WEB.jpg   DSC06656_WEB.jpg   DSC06657_WEB.jpg  

DSC06690_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-29-2016 at 07:41 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Loopster.... Saw another post you did that the machine was reported stolen... Bought off of Craigslist..... wow...

So it must have a QC... You want to upgrade....

Options.... ROCK chuck... Well, that is a dead end at this time. I have bought a few used from users switching to a CarveTite.

CarveTite... Likely the best option for you. LHR sells them and supports them. It would require the CT Bits.

Musclechuck... They make a Rock type chuck for a series of Routers and also for the CW. I bought one but have never installed it. It screws on to where you would remove the QC from your truck. But that "Remove" is a a gamble.... The QC is put on with forever Red Lock tite and I have broken the special square drive bits used on the top of the chuck to hold the shaft while trying to remove the old QC to install a ROCK or Musclechuck. I have trashed 2 Trucks and gave up on them.

With that said... Go with a LHR CarveTite...

You will need to look and see if the machine has a old 18 pin FSC Cable or the newer 14 pin. Look at the pictures to tell. Never mix 18 and 14 pin parts... It's a Circuit Board on the Machine side. The flat Cable either 18 or 14 pin. Then the matching Circuit Board on the Z Motor. Mixing parts and you can kill the machine... due to the width of the pins shorting.

The 14 pin flat cable is better as the wires are thicker.

In the picture I call it a 16 pin but it is 18 pin.

AL

Let me clarify one thing. I did buy a CW off Craigslist. Not knowing it was stolen. The machine had 4 different owners. Long story made short. In the end. I was given rights to the machine by the original owner. He released them to me because there was no telling how many times it changed hands. I am now legally owner of this unit as per CW management, The Plano TX. Police Department, and The Garland TX Police Department.

CW does not have their new Chuck in stock. So I am at a loss there to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by loopster View Post
    CW does not have their new Chuck in stock. So I am at a loss there to upgrade.
    They must be waiting for the next shipment to come it. It might worth a call to them to see what their time line is or maybe if they have any reconditioned ones available.

Great to hear that things are going your way for owning the machine.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.