Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinion of keychain

Default opinion of keychain

My son is a senior in HS this year and they are doing fund raisers. I though i would carve these up to help out.

Can you give me your opinions on the layout and text especially. they are 2" by 4", so they don't have much room.

I don't have centerline but would get it if it would help, but i think the they may be to small.

These will be cut from .375" pine and spray finished in gloss poly.

Will the raised lettering survive or should i go for the inset outlined? Is there a better font you would recommend?

thanks for the suggestions

(PS this football is a pattern in the store, but on "try mode" so i hope it is okay to post as it is.)

Jesse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails keychain.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

You can't cut on 3/8" pine. the thinnest you can go on the CW is 1/2".
    Steven Alford
    Colorado Springs, CO
    V1.152

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Alford View Post
    You can't cut on 3/8" pine. the thinnest you can go on the CW is 1/2".
    Let's re-phrase that. You can't cut on 3/8 inch pine, unless you are using a backing board or sled of some type. The minimum thickness the machine can handle unassisted is .5 inches. You can use stock thinner than that, but you must use a sled or jig to run it through the machine.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

I do have a sled, and since v1.13 the auto tabs feature makes it easy to cut out.

I just wasnt sure about the text, but after looking at a tips and tricks that demonstrated Centerline on a 1/4" edge perhaps that is what i need.

Any more thoughts?

Jesse

Centerline would provide a cleaner cut. Look at this file I did. Just used yours, but had to remove the football, since it is a commercial pattern. All you would have to do is re-add the football.

Notice how clean it now comes out?

I also added a draft to the raster portion you had. If you choose to use raster, it will help prevent chipout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Football Test.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Atauer,

2 questions,

since i posted a commercial pattern in "try" mode, does that let everyone else use it for free? If so I will remove my upload right away. Since I couldn't use it it until i buy it, I didn't think anyone else could. SORRY!

Second,
    I cant open it as i only have 1.132 where i am at, can you tell me what draft setting you used, and did you change the depth or heights?

thanks
    Jesse

I didn't change any of the heights of the text. I simply added a medium draft to the raster text.

Also, the file you uploaded is safe, but since I am a Carvewright employee, I had to remove it when I posted my file, as I have the license for it.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Thanks for the clarification on both points.

On the centerline option, what font and bit did you assign to it? about how deep is it?

thanks so much
    Jesse

I kept the font that you had. At the deepest point, it is about .055 deep with a 90 degree v bit.

With a 60 degree v-bit, its about .1 deep.

The only thing about Centerline is you can't control the depth.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

10. Default

Ya i think centerline would be good also. Yes you can only cut 1/2 inch at the thinnest. In the past for thinner pieces i would carve 1/2 inch, place the carving face down on the drum sander and skim it off the backside to the desired thickness. Just be careful not to thin down to where it meets the depth of the carve.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast