Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/8" carving bit??

Default 1/8 Carving Bit

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Well Bud,

If the cut to size question is asked and answered yes, it would ask for the 1/8" "Cutting" bit, not "Carving" bit. I may have misunderstood but the question was, Why is it asking for an 1/8" (Carving) bit?
    I understand this is what is expected. However, I never use the "Cut Board to Size" so I can not be sure what appears, nor do I know exactly what version of Designer was used by the original poster. At this point I must presume that the word, that was seen, was read and typed correctly.

We need the MPC and Version to make a true analysis which would include running the project through the CW/CC loading phase with that version of the software.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Bud,

I have used the cut to size option and it indeed asks for the 1/8 "Cutting" bit. I use 1.134 as does Joe by his comment and he says he's seen this 1/8" "Carving bit" request as well.

As I stated in my first post, I thought seeing the MPC would help as well but in retrospect, unless they changed the default 1/16" pattern carving bit (also in my first post), there should be NO instance where it would ask for an 1/8" "Carving" bit.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

I went back and checked by MPC file. The pattern bit is set to 1/16" ballnose. I normally do not change this setting.

When I ran the part I answered "no" to cut board to size.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jpitz31 View Post
    I went back and checked by MPC file. The pattern bit is set to 1/16" ballnose. I normally do not change this setting.

When I ran the part I answered "no" to cut board to size.

Joe

This is indeed odd Joe. I have a scan running right now but I'm going to see if I can reproduce this situation. I've done about 10 or 12 projects now in 1.134 using a variety of bits in each one. I have yet to see it ask for an 1/8" carving bit.

Can you post the MPC you're using as is? After having posted back and fourth with you, I'm 100% sure it's not the "way" you set it up but just for giggles, I'd just like to test it on my machine to see if it asks for this bit.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Here is the MPC Chris. Just to let you know. This is not the original.

I was having the below problem and was trying to find out what was causing it.

I was having trouble getting the CW to cut this design.

I had two 3/4" pieces of MDF screwed together. I set up the MPC to cut the .154 carve region on the front surface. Then cut a 1/8" circle at a depth of .75 with the 1/8" cutting bit. (not a cut path)

Then the intention was to flip the board and cut a circle to remove the other .75 circle.

The CW would only cut the circle to .25 and stop. It would not cut the carve region. And would not cut the circle to full depth.

I have not attempted to retry this yet.

Joe
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks everone for the fast replies. I have attached the mpc file and will try to take a photo of the lcd with it asking for the 1/8" carving bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Version

Murph,
    Tell them what version of Designer are you using?
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by jpitz31 View Post
    Here is the MPC Chris. Just to let you know. This is not the original.

I was having the below problem and was trying to find out what was causing it.

I was having trouble getting the CW to cut this design.

I had two 3/4" pieces of MDF screwed together. I set up the MPC to cut the .154 carve region on the front surface. Then cut a 1/8" circle at a depth of .75 with the 1/8" cutting bit. (not a cut path)

Then the intention was to flip the board and cut a circle to remove the other .75 circle.

The CW would only cut the circle to .25 and stop. It would not cut the carve region. And would not cut the circle to full depth.

I have not attempted to retry this yet.

Joe
    If the MPC isn't the exact same as the one you used when it asked for an 1/8" "carving" bit then the test "might" be moot. I'll still have a look at it though.

For future reference, whenever I have an "unexpected" situation with a carve. I make a copy of the file before changing it in an effort to diagnose the problem. That way I can always look back to the original to see which change (because sometimes I may have to try many) made the difference.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Joe,

My scan is still running but I've looked at your file. In reference to the CW only cutting .25 deep on the 1/8" bit "manual" cut path. You have the board thickness set at .500". If you have two 3/4" put together, your board thickness should be set to 1.5".

Also, in this file, you have the depth of the 1/8" bit set to .500" not .75"

I have no idea (yet) as to why it wouldn't do the carve region but I'll assume up front it's related to the CW asking for an 1/8" carving bit.

Still investigating......
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 07-04-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Default 1/8 carving bit

I ran the mpc again and it is asking for a 1/8" carving bit, not cutting bit. I am running ver 1.150, I just downloaded it prior to attempting this carve. I could not get a photo of the lcd that was clear enough. This may be a misspell in the new version, since I never had the machine ask for a 1/8" carving bit in the 2 years i've had it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast