Thread: Scanning Probe to STL Importer?

Default Scanning Probe to STL Importer?

Ok,

So the next logical question would be, can you take scanning probe data that has been imported to the pattern editor and then open this file in the new STL Importer? If possible, this would allow tremendous amounts of flexibility.

You could then either slice and dice a scanned image or export the scanned image out to an .stl file. Open the .stl file in your 3D cad software, tweak the image to clean it up and then re-export back to .stl file.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jpitz31 View Post
    Ok,

So the next logical question would be, can you take scanning probe data that has been imported to the pattern editor and then open this file in the new STL Importer? If possible, this would allow tremendous amounts of flexibility.

You could then either slice and dice a scanned image or export the scanned image out to an .stl file. Open the .stl file in your 3D cad software, tweak the image to clean it up and then re-export back to .stl file.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Joe
    Hello Joe,

The scanning probe is limited to about an inch in scanning depth, so I'm not sure that feature would very useful, all things considered (unless I'm missing something - which is certainly possible!).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello Joe,
    so I'm not sure that feature would very useful, all things considered (unless I'm missing something - which is certainly possible!).
    Michael,

Even with the 1" limitation, Being able to clean up a 3D model after a scan would be very helpful. Also if you wanted to scale the scanned model, as shown in the STL Importer video (BMW Car) that would be a great feature as well.

Joe

Michael,

Even with the 1" limitation, Being able to clean up a 3D model after a scan would be very helpful. Also if you wanted to scale the scanned model, as shown in the STL Importer video (BMW Car) that would be a great feature as well.

Joe
    Actually, we can already do what you described in the CarveWright Pattern Editor (clean-up and scaling a scan).

For more extensive 3D manipulation, we will need 3D modeling capability.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Hi Joe, seems like your into translations..

The STL editor will save out a STL so if you use the new program to Boolean "slice up" you can save your changes.

But for your needs, most 3D programs can build a mesh from a scan then you can save out to STL.

welcome to the interchangeable world of 3D..

This is how i do it .. CW scan converts to 3D then to STL then to Designers raster, now we need Designer raster to STL to complete the translation or just save the edited image after changes, to PNG and start the process over.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 07-03-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    This is how i do it .. CW scan converts to 3D then to STL then to Designers raster, now we need Designer raster to STL to complete the translation or just save the edited image after changes, to PNG and start the process over.

LG
    Hi LG,

Exactly, I want to do most of my work in a modeling package, I unfortunately, am not an artist type. So I need a hard dimensioning CAD program.

Then I can export to .stl and make sawdust. I just picked up the scanning probe to scan those items that I cannot draw. How do you export the CW scanning data to a 3D?

Thanks

Joe

I unfortunately, am not an artist type. So I need a hard dimensioning CAD program.
    I think you have the 2 confused. As a artist i use hard measurements that exceeded the tooling and material I use. I will but out for now and let you use turbo cad

LG

How do you export the CW scanning data to a 3D?

Thanks

Joe
    Joe,

It would be handy to have the ability to directly import a mpw or a ptn into the STL editor if the goal is to convert to an STL file, alright. I'll probably mention this to a few key people next week.

I do not know how LG is converting his scans to STL, but...

I have my own procedure that I use to create so-called "2½D" STL's from an mpw or a ptn that I figured out about a year or so ago. It is a little convoluted and requires the use of two "old" software programs...i.e., Designer 1.120 and Jeff Birt's old CBPE software. So - the procedure is not likely to be useful to anyone except me. For what it's worth (probably not much), here is what I do...

1) I make a ptn (from a scan or whatever) in the old 1.120 version of the Designer Pattern Editor.

2) I can then open that ptn in Jeff's CBPE, set the resolution at a minimum of 1700 pixels along the shortest dimension (X or Y axis) of the pattern and save it as a BMP file (NOT a png in this case).

3) Once that is done, I can import the BMP directly into my ArtCAM software and create a dimensional relief from the greyscale BMP heightmap with the click of a button.

4) I can re-model and make additions/changes, adjust the model height, etc., then export the final result as an STL from ArtCAM.

Unfortunately, the process won't work if I make a ptn in versions of Designer released after 1.120 because Jeff's old CBPE cannot open ptn's that were created in the more recent versions. Also, this would not work for "full-round" 3D models (unless the model has identical symmetrical halves) as ArtCAM is not a "real" 3D modeling program.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-04-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!