Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: rock chuck

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    Maybe you used it so long that it got so hot that all of the loctite melted out!... LOL

Just kidding, but you sure had really good luck out of that chuck!

LOL...perhaps. But honestly it never got that hot. I don't think luck though Ron. Proper care and use is more like it. Almost 100 hours on the second now and running fine. And I'm pretty sure "I" killed the first one too.......Doing that Oak mirror for Alex in an...ummm...unconventional way.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

you will push the top wrench away from you if standing on the keypad side.
    What he said. Ron I just ordered # 2 from you today..

Almost 100 hours
    lagger.. you need to do more carving..
    LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 07-01-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Default Rock installed

Hello All,

The Rock came today, When I got home from work I watched the video a few times and installed the Rock. I had no problem loosing the QC. Did not have to heat it at all. I have not cut anything yet. I will do that first thing tomorrow.

I made a bit depth installer so I could set the bit 1 1/2" from the collet.

I put a threaded insert into a piece of MDF, used a bit of left over threaded rod and a little rubber vacuum cap. I set the height with my calipers and then insert the bit into the sleeve.

Can't wait to try the rock out.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW2-1.jpg  

Is that a Roto Zip bit? Does it have a cutting tip? Or it just an optical illusion... and a 1/8 inch cutting bit?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al,

You have got a really good eye. Yes, that is a SC rotozip bit. Yes 1/8" bit and 1/8" sleeve for the Rock. I had one sitting on my desk and wanted to see how it fit into the sleeve and check the length.

Joe

Default I am impressed!

I got my 1/4" sleeves for the 1/2" Rock in the mail yesterday. I installed the carving bit in the chuck and did a 1 hour test carve. I can't believe how much quieter the machine is with the Rock! Vibrations are almost undetectable. THe flex shaft ran much cooler that before. All-in-all I never thought a new type of chuck would make such a difference.

Color me a Happy Camper!
    Joe

Default With the Rock

Yesterday I notice my dog "that's her in the avatar photo" was in the shop sleeping on the floor at the same time my CW was rocking.. That's a first..

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 07-04-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Yesterday I notice my dog "that's her in the avatar photo" was in the shop sleeping on the floor at the same time my CW was rocking.. That's a first..

LG
    This is funny to me... i have had a half dozen comments about the dog now being comfortable in the shop while the macine is running!...LOL...

Now mans best friend can hang while carving!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    This is funny to me... i have had a half dozen comments about the dog now being comfortable in the shop while the macine is running!...LOL...

Now mans best friend can hang while carving!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Ron
    I consider this proof that the difference is not just in our head, can't have a more unbiased opinion than from a dog!
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

I have had a few questions about the new Rock Sleeves, and how to orient them correctly. I have also been asked about how to orient the flats on tools to make sure they are not in a bad place in reference to the clamp in the Rock Chuck.

The first picture shows pinching the sleeve to get it to ease into the bore more easily.
    The second picture shows orienting the slit to the center of the hex in the clamp bolt (where you insert the T-handle wrench)
    The third picture shows the flat facing the center of the hex in the clamp bolt.

By doing this you will insure that you are clamping on a smooth surface and getting the best holding power, and least amount of runout.

Hope this helps, please ask if you have any questions!

Happy Carving,

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pinch Sleeve.JPG   Align slit.JPG   Align flat.JPG  
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast