Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dash panel for boat

Default Dash panel for boat

This is actually my first project and the impetus for getting the machine.

I’m working on a wood dash for my boat. Many performance boaters like anodized or powder-coated aluminum dashes, but I like wood. The dash sits in the center of the boat and as such the far gauges can be hard to read. Angled metal bezels are available, but I had the idea to incorporate the angle into the wood dash itself. I came up with the idea about a year ago, but could not come up with a good way to fabricate this using conventional tools. I came across the CarveWright and decided to go for it.

Attached are some pictures of the original dash plus my work in progress. I started with a pine draft version, using two pieces of ¾” material glued together. The final is being cut from 1-1/2” mahogany stock. I’m using a fixture on all four sides of the material to keep the stock under the rollers at all times. The holes for the switches are cut to the max 1” depth with the cutting bit. The back is routed about ½” to complete the hole. The holes for the gauges are cut at the proper angle with hole saws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S6301058.JPG   dashangle.jpg   dash.jpg  

DickB,

For your first project I would say it is a keeper! Should make the other boat owners envious for sure.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

That is a big improvement from the original. Good Job

I like the dash nice job!

LG

Default Dash

Great Job !
    Good to see you make a one of a kind dash I'm sure you can show it with the pride knowing it is somthing you have the talent to build.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Default what's next??

You've added another dimension with adding the depth to the panel with to the angles. Totally awesome, can't wait to see what you come up with next.
    Rick H

DickB,
    Very Nice! I remember the Donzi deep Vees from way back. They were always a classy and powerful ride! The wood dash you have designed, along with a few other wood accents will dress her up nicely!

Great Job. Be sure to post a picture of the finished product AND the boat!

Steve
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

That's awesome. Good job.

9. Default Very nice!

I have a '67 Performer that's a one-off, and I love the idea of replacing the dash... (Never even thoght of it ) Gonna have a productive summer, I think
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum

Default Custom dash

My 1914 Overland didn't come with a dash. I'd like to make a removable one to mount a CD player so it can play Laurel and Hardy type music on the tours.
    The speedo mounted to the floor, at passenger's left foot (right hand drive) and the ignition and light switch were on the (wood) firewall. I love old cars...and the things my CW can do.
    Ron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast