Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 projects started 0 completed

Default 7 projects started 0 completed

I have less than 20 hours on my machine and have had nothing but problem after problem with it. I have started seven different projects and have yet to have one complete without some kind of error or part breaking.

Two Z axis stalls. After several calls found out my belt was not tight enough. In the process of trying to figure out what was wrong the tech told me to clean out the z motor buy removing the 3 screws on the motor housing cover. Turns out my machine was missing a screw, only had two in it.

My handle for raising and lowering the head keeps falling off.

The bit tip locater does not pivot out far enough and the bit misses it. Talked to tech and they said it pivots from underneath and just needs some lubricant and it will work... Half a bottle of WD40 later it still doesn't work.

I was running a project and heard a noise. Stopped the machine and discovered that a set screw from the factory shipped carving bit had come off and shot through the quick change chuck. Of course the chuck is considered a consumable so it is was not covered under warranty even though I was using a factory bit. It also ruined the bit adapter.

Now it is failing to locate the board thickness. The first time I was able to manually enter the thickness. Now when I enter it in it goes right back to enter the board thickness and will not continue.

Even on the half completed projects it did not carve as was designed in the software. It has left whole words out, carved something where it was not supposed to be located at.

Would not recognize a board was loaded.

I am sure I am forgetting other issues I have had with it. Keep in mind there are less than 20 hours on the machine.

For the most part technical support has been very good other than twice when I called all the techs were busy and my number was taken and told someone would call me. They never did. I had to call back in until I got someone.

The point is... A new machine should not have these issues. I have read all the other problems that users are having and have to laugh. We are all a bunch of suckers! In theory the machine is great, but it in reality it is not very well built. I read a post from one user that said any tool you buy ie. table saw, planer has its problems. Funny, I have lots of woodworking tools and have never had any issues with them right out of the box, but I do buy quality products, at least until I bought this machine. I guess the saying is true "you get what you pay for" There are other CNC routers out there, most in the 10's of thousands of dollars. So the $1,800 for a carvewright seems to be a great deal, but its kind of like buying a new car that's $10,000 cheaper than anything else out there but it doesn't start or will only go 5 miles without breaking down. By the time you get done with all the repairs you would have been better off saving your money and buying a better car. They say that every machine has to pass their QA before being sold. I think their definition of quality and mine are totally different.

My advise to anyone who is considering buying one... If you like spending all your time fixing things and not carving then go for it. Otherwise, save up your money and buy quality, or just purchase some hand carving tools and learn to carve by hand, I was able to salvage 3 of the seven projects by finishing them by hand. I could have actually carved all 7 by hand in the amount of time it has taken me fooling around with this thing.

Hello Jon,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I have two machines and crank out beatiful projects on a regular basis, so I am a great fan of the machines to say the least. However, I don't blame you for being upset and frustrated based on what you have shared.

I do know that LHR will be happy to help you with your machine (and so are we, here on the forum). Also, the Tips & Tricks are often very helpful for newcomers and experienced users alike.

Everyone (including the manufacturer) wants you to be able to enjoy your machine - as such "we're all on your side".

Give LHR/CarveWright a call and inquire about sending in the machine for a thorough going over. Turn-around time is usually not too long (a couple weeks) and I feel sure after you get it back, you'll be able to start having fun for a change!

Again, it's too bad you've had such an unusual plethora of issues, but once you start turning out your own beautiful projects, I think you'll appreciate what a useful and productive tool it is.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Hey jon,

I agree with Michael, ask LHR about having your machine sent in for repairs. I've had my machine over a year now and had problem after problem in the begining. I sent it to LHR and when it came back the problems have stopped. I'm sure the same outcome will happen for you

Mikewiz

Thanks the replies. In the course of my obvious venting I forgot to ask my question (lol).

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the bit locater to function properly? Other than lubricating it because believe me it is lubricated!

The Bit Plate is activated by the Z Motor moving in the Y Direction and pushes the plate out. With the power off you can slide the motor over and see if it can reach the bit plate. Most times the right cover switch cut motor power wires have been pulled out of place in the back right side of the machine and the Z Motor cooling fins HIT THE WIRES stopping it SHORT of the BIT PLATE. Look inside the machine and see if the cable is tucked into the back right in the sweet spot that does not interfere with the motion to the bit plate.

As for the loose crank handle. When tightening the center screw, you must rotate the crank handle and when you feel the screw start to tighten keep turning the handle so it will engage into the keyed slot than finish tightening the screw. I bet you are Ramming the screw in and the handle is just friction fitted to the outside of the spline keyed slot. As soon as it loosens up it won't turn the head. You must be sure the crank engages the splined keyway... I believe that is your problem.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

In almost 2 years I've never once had to lubricate the bit plate. I recommend against it as the dust will attract and surely build up causing problems.

Common causes for it not flipping out all the way are...,

1) The cover wires in the upper rear corner of the cover (bit plate side) preventing the truck from getting all the way over to hit the plate.

2) Y belt tension too loose.

3) The plastic covers on the truck bearings not allowing it to hit the plate fully.

4) A physically bent bit plate.

5) something not noted here preventing the truck from making good solid contact with the plate.

Unless you just managed to get a lemon, this machine is GREAT and works exactly as I expected it would. Once I learned a few basics of course. I also agree with Michael and I'm also a BIG FAN of the CW.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

LOL...Beat me to it Al....
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Jon since I don't see where you are located I will also state temps. 55F or higher. When my shop gets about 50 the bit plate almost makes it out far enough. Days like today my tools are lonely. It started at 8f now a whopping 26f I dont need to play that bad and would take forever for the heater to get it warm
    Last edited by Bubbabear; 01-17-2009 at 12:25 PM.
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

I also had a small burr on the side of my machine that would catch the bit plate and stop it from coming out ... but only after it had a bunch of dust was slowing it down. I filed it off, now it works fine. Believe me I thought I had a lemon too, but a little perseverance and now It's working great. Of course that doen't mean I don't do anything to keep it going. I clean it constantly, wax or white lithium grease everything I can see that moves (except the sealed bearings) and then I clean it again. I use lithium on the ends of all my bits and inside the chuck each time I change bits. I also clean my bits each time I use them. Blow out and vacumn inside the machine after every stop in the carving and sometimes when it looks like there is a little too much dust. I know it sounds a little anal but whatever it takes, after all I DID spend $2,000 on this and I don't want to thow it away.
    Also, I would say and I'm not sure everyone agrees, but do NOT use WD40 for anything you do not want dust to stick to. It is not a lubricant or a cleaner, it is a water deterant that works like a lubricant and a cleaner, so it doen't always work. I have found that to be true in a lot of situations, not just this one. Use white lithium grease. It works great and it doen't turn into a big glob of hard dust after it dries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_d View Post
    Thanks the replies. In the course of my obvious venting I forgot to ask my question (lol).

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the bit locater to function properly? Other than lubricating it because believe me it is lubricated!
    This isn't a recommended fix bit you can wedge a piece of foam or tape wad to force the bit plate to always be open as long as you don't use any projects that are over 13" wide. If you do then this won't work as the Z-truck will bang into the plate and not be able to carve all the way across the project.

AGAIN this is not RECOMMENDED but it works.

Also DON'T use WD40 as a lubricant, it's not. It's a rust inhibitor and use to loosen/clean parts.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast