Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Help with broken cutting bits

I think over oiling the QC makes it much harder to keep clean as well. On my first QC I got about 410 hours out of it and I applied a VERY small amount of 3 in 1 with a rag about once a week.

I now have almost 40 hours on my second QC and have never put any oil on it at all. I only wipe (again with a rag) a small amount on the adapters just to keep the retaining balls in the QC from rusting.

So far, I find the "dry" dust falls out MUCH easier than my previous approach. I still use a tooth brush but after snapping the QC a few times, not much more comes out with the brush. Also, it's important to brush around the set screws on the adapters. Without fail, every time I take a bit our there is a small amount of dust on the set screws right at the body of the adapter. It might not look like much but ignore this just a time or two and it WILL be enough to keep the QC from completely locking around the adapter.

Just my two sense.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

I appreciate everyones help with this. I have reset the cut path for multiple passes to avoid help with this.

Another question. While the cut path is adjustable as far as depth what about the option to cut the board to size? I do not find a setting for that and am concerned that this may be again an all at one time cut...

At this time there is no way to make multiple passes on a cut to size. You could use a couple straight lines and apply the cut bit to them.

Personally, I would never use the CW to do this anyway as my sliding chop-saw and table-saw are much faster for this and saves wear & tear on the CW and bits.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    At this time there is no way to make multiple passes on a cut to size. You could use a couple straight lines and apply the cut bit to them.

Personally, I would never use the CW to do this anyway as my sliding chop-saw and table-saw are much faster for this and saves wear & tear on the CW and bits.

Chris in 1.132 you can change the cut board to size when you are at the machine. Post 17 in this thread has it in detail
    Last edited by Bubbabear; 01-17-2009 at 11:37 AM.
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbabear View Post
    Chris in 1.132 you can change the cut board to size when you are at the machine. Post 17 in this thread has it in detail
    Thanks for correcting me Bubbabear. Since I never use it, I would have never known they added that.

So I guess once you answer YES to "cut the board to size?", it gives you the option to specify how many passes?

Another added feature....Cool.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Thanks for correcting me Bubbabear. Since I never use it, I would have never known they added that.

So I guess once you answer YES to "cut the board to size?", it gives you the option to specify how many passes?

Another added feature....Cool.
    No Chris before you start the setup go 0,5,6,1 on the keypad then it stays set until you change it gives you 4 options as I listed in #17 using the up down arrow key
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I appreciate everyones help with this. I have reset the cut path for multiple passes to avoid help with this.
    You can now join the "min pass" club

LG

Default easier find

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbabear View Post
    If I am following this right this is when you have gone to the CW put the card in and setting what pattern you want it ask if you would like for it to cut out the pattern.

When you turn the machine on it gets to project menu press 0,5,6,1 then you can use the up and down arrow key and it gives you four options for cut depth. you have Full depth .375, .250, .125 .. Now this is only in the latest software 1.132. Hopefully this helps
    So it is closer to here and no searching

Angry

Well after making the changes in this thread the cut paths worked perfectly but when I chose the "cut board to size" another broken bit. I am going to go back a release as after 3 bits its getting a little expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by PlateCarver View Post
    Well after making the changes in this thread the cut paths worked perfectly but when I chose the "cut board to size" another broken bit. I am going to go back a release as after 3 bits its getting a little expensive.
    OK! I think we might be closer to an explanation as to why your bits are breaking. When a board is cut to size, it is not being kept captive under both rollers. I'll bet the board is tipping slightly, causing the bit to bind and therefore, the bit breaks.

Two solutions -

1) Don't use the cut board to size feature - put in a board that is already the correct size to begin with.

2) If you still want to use the cut board to size feature, then make sure the outfeed tables are adjusted perfectly to prevent the board from even slight "tipping". If your board is over say, 40", then use a couple stand-alone roller supports in addition to the built-in outfeed support to prevent tipping as well.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast