Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with broken cutting bits

Question Help with broken cutting bits

I need some advise on how to save my cutting bits. I now have about 75 hours on my machine and last week while cutting out the outline of a sign the bit broke. Thinking it was just one of those things I ordered 2 more, just in case, and yesterday went to recarve the sign. Well again on a new bit it broke again. Nothing special about this sign and it was cutting a straight piece of the outside border. The wood is Poplar so not a real dense wood.

I did upgrade designer to 1.132 just before the first one broke. I did go into designer and adjust the depth of the cut to .1 and have not had any issues....yet. I guess the question is if there is any changes in 1.132 that move the bit faster thus putting more stress on the bit? Any ideas on how I can try to prevent this?

Just make sure you're taking two or three passes to perform the cut-out.

Do not do it in one - you may not break a bit in one pass, but then again, you may...
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Make sure there are tabs in your cut path so the wood does not shift and pinch the bit. Been there, done that...ouch.

Good luck
    Jeff

Jeff Corder

Quote Originally Posted by PlateCarver View Post
    I need some advise on how to save my cutting bits. I now have about 75 hours on my machine and last week while cutting out the outline of a sign the bit broke. Thinking it was just one of those things I ordered 2 more, just in case, and yesterday went to recarve the sign. Well again on a new bit it broke again. Nothing special about this sign and it was cutting a straight piece of the outside border. The wood is Poplar so not a real dense wood.

I did upgrade designer to 1.132 just before the first one broke. I did go into designer and adjust the depth of the cut to .1 and have not had any issues....yet. I guess the question is if there is any changes in 1.132 that move the bit faster thus putting more stress on the bit? Any ideas on how I can try to prevent this?
    Hello PlateCarver,

Are you able to post the mpc so we can take a look at it? (don't post it if there are commercial patterns on it). Just curious if you are certain you are using the automatic cut path feature.

It is very strange that you are breaking bits like that - not at all normal, even with 3/4" full-depth cutouts (I do full-depth cutouts all the time, no problem whatsoever, so I personally don't believe that's the cause).

Another thing to check is that your adaptor setscrews are tight, and that the bit is fully seated before the cutout starts (brush/clean the QC before inserting the bit, then use a mirror to make sure the two red marks touch each other). Definitely could break bits if there is any trace of "looseness" in the adaptor or the QC.

Breaking bits can get expensive - fast, so please let us know if you need more assistance/suggestions to determine the actual root of the problem.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Appreciate all of the help. The MPC was straight from the pattern area on this board that was a simple house sign. Very simple and has worked many times before for me. Strange that when I upgraded designer I stated breaking the bits. I attahed the MPC...I hope (first time) and removed the address to simplify. I did select cut board to size but it never got that far. Bit broke as it was going from the straight abd about half way up the rounded top section.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by PlateCarver View Post
    Appreciate all of the help. The MPC was straight from the pattern area on this board that was a simple house sign. Very simple and has worked many times before for me. Strange that when I upgraded designer I stated breaking the bits. I attahed the MPC...I hope (first time) and removed the address to simplify. I did select cut board to size but it never got that far. Bit broke as it was going from the straight abd about half way up the rounded top section.
    When I right clicked on your cutpath and clicked on select bit, no bit was chosen. At this point you can select the 1/8 cutting bit and then max depth per pass, say .25 and it will make the cut out in 3 passes. You can also choose how many tabs per foot to use when you create a cut path. This was changed from the previous designer version when it placed tabs automagically.
    Bill Brooks
    Henrico , VA
    Printer, Zymurgist, Carvehead
    Machine One - Version B, Carvetight upgrade and a Ringneck Blues Dust collector www.ringneckblues.com
    Machine Two - 5th Anniversary Version C, Rubber Belts and a Ringneck Blues Blues Dust collector

You DO NOT use 'Select Bit' for a Cut-Path operation. When you use the cut-path tool it will bring up it's own dialog where you can choose from the two cut-path bits: 1/8" or 1/16" straight cutting bits. You can also set the max cut depth per pass there.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Any guidance on the number of "tabs" or is the default of 3 doable?

If your doing some nested or very intricate cut-paths it would be good to use more tabs to prevent the part from breaking loose. The software now tries to detect nested cut-path operations but I would rather have to cut out a few extra tabs to free the part from the board then to have it come loose in the machine.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    You DO NOT use 'Select Bit' for a Cut-Path operation. When you use the cut-path tool it will bring up it's own dialog where you can choose from the two cut-path bits: 1/8" or 1/16" straight cutting bits. You can also set the max cut depth per pass there.
    Hi Jeff,

Perhaps that was what Bill meant - i.e., choose between the 1/8" or 1/16" cutting bits in the new Cut-Out Control menu.

(Of course, if he is using the Select Bit tool during a cut path setup, that is definitely a mistake as you mentioned!)

Bill - could we get some clarification as to what you meant? Just want to make sure you're on the right track. Thanks!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast