Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tongue Drum & Necklace Tray

Default Tongue Drum & Necklace Tray

These are my two latest projects, distinctly different!

The first is a tongue drum, I pondered for nearly a year on how to build this. I really liked the looks and sound of the drums on the tonguedrum.com site, and was fortunate that by the time I was ready to build it plans were available for sale on the web site. I think it was money well spent, there are a few specifics I would not have been aware of. The top is African Padauk, ends are walnut and oak, sides are tiger maple and walnut, bottom is birch plywood. It is finished with two coats of tung oil. It is about 9" tall, 10" wide and 24" long and weighs just under 20 lbs. I used the CW only to make some vector paths with a 90° V bit, which I used for guides to cut the tongues with a jig saw. If I did it again, I would probably use the 1/8 bit and cut clear through, and then place 1/8" shims between the tongues when gluing the sides on (the drum is too high to cut the tongues after the box is assembled). Tuning the drum was fairly easy with the help of a microphone and free software which displayed the frequency of the tongues.
    I am not musical at all, this was just a project I wanted to do, but here is some audio of my brother playing it:
    Tongue Drum Solo
    Tongue Drum With Guitar

The second project was a quickie project for my wife. It is a necklace tray which is used to hold beads and other supplies when making jewelry. The ones sold at the craft stores are made of thin flimsy plastic and she wanted something sturdier and a little more basic. It is an edge glued 9" X 14" maple scrap with two coats of lacquer. It was completely done on the CW. Nothing special, but I am posting it since it might give someone else an idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tongue Drum (Medium).JPG   Necklace Tray (Medium).JPG  
    Last edited by brdad; 01-05-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Both are GREAT projects! Nice!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Nice

Both projects are really nice. The Tongue drum is on my list of things to make. Just need to find the time.

Thanks for sharing.

John'

4. Default

I had never heard of a tongue drum before and tried to pictured in my mind how you could adapt a drum to play with your tongue. Thanks for posting a picture, now I'll have to search for other exotic instruments that can be made.
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

Outstanding projects, I listened to your recordings and I am very impressed.
    Thanks for sharing with us your talent and inspiring skills.
    Cheers ~ Ray

I've been thinking about making a tongue drum - no reason to not let the CW do everything there IMO. Your drum sounds great.

Hey man, that tongue drum is great, and the added guitar made it really cool. Music (guitar player myself) is in my blood but never thought of making one of those. And the wife, she is into the beads also.....
    Nice job on both.

The audio was a great addition, thanks! Both projects are impressive.
    Cheers,
    Bill Brooks
    Henrico , VA
    Printer, Zymurgist, Carvehead
    Machine One - Version B, Carvetight upgrade and a Ringneck Blues Dust collector www.ringneckblues.com
    Machine Two - 5th Anniversary Version C, Rubber Belts and a Ringneck Blues Blues Dust collector

Default Realy liked the drum.

Any chance you might share the pattern? Or at least the size of it.
    John

Thumbs up

Hi brdad,

Great Projects, I love the Tounge Drum and Thanks for the Site
    I really plan to carve and build a couple up dated ones.

About 25 years ago I built 3, one for each of our childen,
    now the Grand Kids come over and play them.
    All Red Oak and have really taken a beating over the years.
    but still can make enough Music to drive Ol' Grandpa Nuts!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25 Year Old  B.C. Ones.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 01-07-2010 at 05:42 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast